Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower Back
Quote | Reply
I've been riding my new bike comfortably since I purchased it in the Spring but in the last week or two I have been experiencing lower back pain. Not while I am riding but most noticeably when I am sitting down. It is very specifically located between two vertebra near the tailbone I can press my thumb on the spot and feel tenderness. Has anyone had experience with this kind of problem? Is it related to my riding position, if so, what type of adjustments should I start with? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Norm.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Back [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... if you've not had this problem before and you have been riding a relatively new bike... then, I would say it is fit.

Typically the best way to fix that problem would be to push the seat forward. Get your seat more under your hip - reduce the stretched out position. That being said, I have seen the same problem fixed by moving the arms inward by shorting the stem. The easiest solution to try first is to shift the seat forward (side note: sometimes shifting the seat forward also requires the raising of the handlebars - this too helps take pressure off the lower back).

Hopefully that will help.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Back [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Joe and would add that many low back pains can be due to hamstring strains perhaps due to overuse... Try icing your hammys and be sure to stretch after your rides.

Longer term I would conentrate on stregnthening your hamstrings through exercises such as leg curls.
Quote Reply