Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMUK rant
Quote | Reply
IMUK was my 2nd M dot race and a big disappointment compared to IM Austria.

The draft busters spent the entire race having a cigarette break. Packs of 40+ riders made no attempt to stay legal and as a few of us tried to break it up by pushing hard groups worked to keep you in the pack. Many sections of the road had been closed in one direction only, leaving no space for draft busters or ambulances. The was a big descent with top speeds over 80 Kph, it is only luck that the one poor rider that came off did not take a pack out with him.

In Austria Mark Allen gave me a medal before I was lead into a finishers area with Beer, Pizza, Chicken and any thing else you might want. At IMUK you could chose between small glasses of water, Gatorade or hot Pepsi. Food options = Banana or Power bar.

I could go on (for a few pages) but the race was well below the standards of Austria on so many ways. The only upside is the supporters and locals.

M
Quote Reply
Re: IMUK rant [Miguel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until the Bristish Triathlon Association decides to combat drafting I'd advise anyone NOT to race in the large UK events, Half-IMUK was by far the worst triathlon in terms of drafting that I have ever experienced. The competitors are largely to blame, their is no code of honour amongst the current generation of UK triathletes, and neither do the draft busters seem willing to do anything about it.

I'm not that bothered about shaking Mark Allen or the Buda's hand, I'd don't care if they have Cameron Diaz providing after race massage. What I do care about is a clean race where I can look at my finish time and know what it means in terms of the competition.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: IMUK rant [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drafting was disgusting. I am shocked the BTA ref had the balls to stand up in the briefing & pretend he would issue any penalties. Triathlon is growing fast in the UK and everybody doing their first big race at IMUK will think it is OK to hang a inch off the next guy.

I do like to get some TLC at the end of a race if I have paid so much money. I could not even buy a beer to drink with my buddies at the end of the race. Two food stand with a ton of people waiting and no good food when you got to the front. Pathetic.

M
Quote Reply
Re: IMUK rant [Miguel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question is what will happen when a whole pack goes down with broken bones and possible long term damage. Who will be responsible? Especially if a draft buster is close by and has not done anything to break it up? What is the US position on this (as the UK will follow shortly thereafter)? Any lawyers out there?
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve, I appreciate that the race may not have been up to scratch and that you're obviously not amused., however, I resent your statement that 'their(sic) is no code of honour amongst the current generation of UK triathletes.'

A slight (misspelt) generalisation.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUK rant [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies for the spelling mistake. However, I'll stick to my guns on the intended remark. I've been racing in the UK since 1998 and the scene is getting worse year by year. The elite drafting format for Oly distance racing and the desire to race Hawaii at any cost have alot to answer for. However, the 10m rule is very simple to understand but, it seems, not implemented. There is a difference between, what I'll call, the 'triathlete drafting pack' which consists of 3-5 people riding too close and exchanging the lead constantly versus a *huge* group swallowing everything in it's way, and riding wheel to wheel. I tried twice to overtake this group yesterday (p.s. it contained quite a few of the leading woman) and each time someone jumped on my wheel and immediately forged through, as I was backing off the whole gang moved up. There was a media crew filming it so it might be shown on the broadcast and a draftbuster rode up but seemed to do nothing (I was too far back to hear anything). I race quite a few local time trials where no one would ever dream of drafting, The whole time trial culture is about improving one's own time over the distance. This is how I approach triathlon and from what I experinced yesterday, only a small minority were doing the same. Hence, I'll stick to TT, smaller races or properly organised ironman events. The UK needs a Charlie Crawford!
SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there and am yet to speak to a couple of friends that raced it but I know you're right. Just not keen on the accusation that all UK triathletes have no appreciation of the drafting rules. I bet 90% of those in the packs feel the same way you do. Sounds like an event to be avoided.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: IMUK rant [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alas, I don't believe 90% felt the way I did. This is why I made the distinction between the two kinds of drafting. Coming out of the swim close to one another it's easy for small groups to form where people 'fail to remember' to back 10m off, and wait a bit before they surge, then counter surge and so on. Normally, this breaks up once a draft buster rolls up and the miles eat away at one's surging abilities. What I saw yesterday was something completely different. Instead of leaving a few meters, people where jumping onto wheels like a disorganised chain gang. Hence, the comment about liabilites (which is where the BTA does need to rethink their 'draftbusting-lite' approach).
SteveMc
p.s. At least the race was won by an uberbiker!
Quote Reply