Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Day Off? How dare i even think it!
Quote | Reply
Damn, woke up this morning, back is stiff, legs feel like rubber. Usually do long run (10-15 miles) on Sunday. Feel like I need a day off. My usual Saturday recovery just did not seem to cut it this week. Am I violating some cardinal tri-sin for not running today?
Quote Reply
Re: Day Off? How dare i even think it! [jelder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giving up a day of running is not a sin. However, for cycling it would be an entire different story!

Did a sprint tri yesterday. Doing nothing tri wise today. In fact, we're going scuba diving this afternoon.
Quote Reply
Re: Day Off? How dare i even think it! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you train hard, rest hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you feel like a day off, take it off. if you go into your workout half-assed, you won't get anything out of it anyway. those "garbage" workouts can make you feel more frustrated than not having worked out at all. nothing wrong with skipping a day or two now and then - as long as it doesn't turn into a week or two ;)

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An unexpected/unplanned day off is a double edged sword. If you go into it with the right attitude it can be a godsend. Think of all the extra recovery/healing your body is getting. You'll be stronger for the extra rest. There is a point however. I rested for 10 months once and was NOT faster when I started again!

If you stress out about taking an extra day off you'll probably go too hard the next day and undo all the gains your extra rest made.

I'm as anal as any of us about training for tris. I'm gettting worse according to TriSpouse. I commute 1/2 hour to work and 1/2 hour home, on my road bike with 15 pounds of food and gear...on a hilly course. Not serious training but it generates ton's o' laundry (just ask TriSpouse) Virtually every day I run at lunchtime (45 minutes hard) or swim 90 min after work (followed by that ride home)

On weekends I have a long run on saturday (60-120 minutes) and sunday is a long ride (4 hours) plus a 1/2 hour run to finish. When is my rest day? I have two rest days! (Christmas and Easter :-) On saturday I missed my long run becasue of damned family commitments and yesterday I did my 65 mile loop an amazing 22 minutes faster than last week (and did the 1/2 hour run right after). Today I rode to work but will be skipping my swim tonight. do I feel bad? Nah! I'll be fresh for my run tomorrow with the boys.

I look at days off as being like chocolate....never enough and sooooooo sweet!

TriDork

chocoholic

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word of wisdom: "Balance". If you're freaking about missing ONE DAY of running, you haven't got balance. Peter Reid took time off, gained weight and enjoyed life... it didn't hurt him, it helped him.

Balance is necessary in every facet of life... find it.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was my 3rd day off since May. I felt a little crappy about it but I did a pb 4:20:51 half IM yesterday and as pumped as I was to go out and train today, I decided to listen to my body and take it easy. You need to take off days when you feel crappy (I know I probably don't take enough but my coach (me) doesn't like them). I know that tomorrow I'll be back in the pool at 6:00am feeling much more ready to continue the IM Florida prep.
Quote Reply
Re: Day Off? How dare i even think it! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you did a 1/2 IM in 4:20 and change and feel crappy about taking the day after off?! hell, i'd be taking the whole week off to celebrate! nice work (hope IMFLA goes as well for you!)

- The Who
Quote Reply