Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do expos make money?
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered.

Anyone sell or have sold at an expo? To me tt seems to really depend on what your selling? I've purchased clothes but mostly go for the smaller items - bars, gels, etc. Clothes and bigger ticket items seem overpriced mainly. Which is odd considering you could blow out your inventory pretty easily if things were priced right. Then again maybe nobody buys.

Thoughts?
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Do expos make money? [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan, my sense is the bigger expos (Ironman, Chicago, etc.) do OK. My friend Emmanuel Millet from Aquaman wetsuits does well at Chicago but often times sells nothing at local events. John Cobb has put a lot of effort into expos and going to races and has reportedly done well at some. We (Bikesport, Inc.- Dearborn, Michigan) do neutral support at events for free and we always have a few takers. We just give away tubes, etc at the event for people who need last minute technical support. It establishes good will. The smaller ones are a bust from my experience.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a local two day sprint/oly series, there were people there selling cheap @$$ sunglasses and their booth was swarmed. $12 bucks each or two for $20. I bought two pair. A pair of Matrix Neo knock-offs and a pair of "fashion" glasses that I get tons of compliments on. Go figure.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they generally do for those who sell. If they didn't those who go to them wouldn't keep coming back and they do come back.

I don't sell anything at them, however, so I don't make any money unless you consider that I am exposing the product to allow it to get better known. That is my purpose for being at the expos. I occasionally get a sale and when i ask how they heard about us they say xxx expo 3 years prior.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply