Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy
Quote | Reply
I bought some Sustained Energy drink from Hammer Nutrition to try it out. Usually I just drink Cytomax or Gatorade on the bike and run but thought I'd try something new.

I read some of the older posts on the subject but would be interested in what some of you have used successfully or unsucessfully for flavoring added to it.

For some reason Hammer Nutrition claims you shouldn't add any simple sugars to the drink. They do suggest using Hammer Gel, which I have, and could use for this. The point about simple carbohydrates seems odd because most foods, gels and drinks contain a mix of simple and complex carbs.

Does this mean once you've had any Sustained Energy you shouldn't switch to Gatorade later in the race? I often do this when my Cytomax runs out and I just drink what the race provides.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Aug 29, 03 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like HG Sustained Energy as a pre-race meal while driving to my races. I now flavor it with Hammer Gel, but have used real vanilla and real and artificial flavors in those littel brown bottles from Schilling that can be purchased at the grocery store.

I've never tried to use it as a direct replacement for carbohydrate/electrolytic replacement drinks as it has three times the calories (using the three scoop serving size), but less can be used. It also gets funky much sooner than carb/elec. products because of the protein. Same thing happens with Accelerade. Even sooner on warmer days. Not a good idea

Hammer recommends not using simple sugars because while other products may use simple and complex carbohydrates Hammer only uses complex carbs in their products.

I don't recommend mixing Hammer products in your gut with Gatorade. I've used Hammer products successfully with Extran orange flavored electrolyte replacement. I read the label before doing so and Extran uses maltodextrin, a common complex carb used extensively by Hammer. Gatorade is sucrose, a simple sugar. I can't remember what's in Cytomax, but check it out.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably start with the Sustained Energy as a pre-exercise drink and take it from there.

One of the reasons that I said I was suprised that Hammer Nutrition was so concerned with mixing simple sugars and complex carbs is that Cytomax does exactly that, and I have used Cytomax with absolutely no problems at all. Cytomax has fructose, glucose, maltodextrins and some other starches. The nutrition label says out of 20g carbohydrates, 11g are sugar.

Is it possible the problem with Sustained energy and sugars lies in some reaction with the soy protein?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be quite honest, I don't know. I'd call Hammer/E-Caps direct to find out. They're really nice.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Hammer/E-Caps people are outstanding to talk with, especially Joe. Their number is 800-366-1977. You might also go tho their website, e-caps.com, and go through their back issues of "Endurance News", which explain a lot of the science behind their products. Sometimes this information is understandable only to a professor of biochemistry, but most of it can be grasped pretty easily.

Now that Perpetuem is available, I have abandoned Sustained Energy other than as a pre-race meal. I'm not sure what the trade-offs are here, as I just can't keep straight all the benefits of the nutritional stuff I use. I know that I cannot survive on Perpetuem (or Sustained Energy flavored with Hammer Gel) alone as my only drink during 1/2IMs, but I try to follow their suggestion to stay away from standard carbohydrate replacement drinks. I am using Cranksports E-Fuel now in addition to Perpetuem, but haven't had the courage to figure out if, in the eyes of HG, I'm just replacing one bad habit with another. However, using both seems to be working for me, so I'm probably going to continue this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding mixing Sustained Energy with simple sugars, do this experiment...in a small bowl, put a little SE in some water and mix it up some but not so much that it's completely dissolved , then put something with glucose or sucrose in it...it will form clumps that are almost impossible to dissolve. Maybe this is why they say not to mix simple sugars with SE. I found this to be true with G-Push also.

What I do if I'm in a race that has simpler sugared drinks is this: If I run out of my complex carb stuff, I take in some extra water and electrolytes, wait 10-15 minutes, THEN I'll take the simpler sugar product. I've done this in training and in races, and have never had a problem. I usually can use G-Push and Powergels without problem...but, it's those few times when I have had a problem that makes me realize it really isn't such a good idea to mix the two. The resulting Atomic Gut Bomb can stop you in your tracks.

If you choose to mix them, try it in training exactly as you plan on doing it in the race, or, in case of emergency, just take a break from one form of carb to allow your stomach to empty as much as possible before starting the other.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by the Hammer and E-Cap lines. I am training for an IM and my long rides and runs have been great mostly b/c I have nailed my nutrition. Hot days, cold days alike this works FOR ME.

I mix 3 scoops Sustained Energy, 1/2 scoop Lemon-Lime Gatorade and 1 serving of banana or orange Hammer Gel in a 24 ounce bottle. Somewhere around 450 calories per bottle. Works like a charm and tastes pretty good too. I usually take 2 bottles of this for a ride of 70 miles or less and 3 for 75-100. Also stop twice for water. Lose the Gel in the mix for my long runs as it gets a little hard to swallow after 5 hours on the bike and then 2 hours into the run.

As for mixing the simple and complex sugars I have found that I need both in case I need a sudden burst of energy. The slow burning (complex) carbs in Hammer Gel don't give that to me. The amount of simple sugars in one half scoop of Gatorade is not huge which may be why I have no stomach distress from this mixture, but it is enough to give me that kick if I need it. I have found that it is best to drink this early in your ride and then live off water and gels as the SE does clump a bit and may do so in your stomach.

Also, the Endurolyte tablets give me all I need for electrolyte replacement. These guys have really worked hard on their product and it shows on the road.

Jeremey
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [jeremey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you noticed you can taste the endurolytes in your sweat within 5-10 minutes of taking them? They get into your system quickly...they've stopped muscle cramps within a few minutes of taking them, and even though I was afraid the cramps would come back, they never did. Amazing.

Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead on. I thought I was just crazy. Glad to know someone else noticed the same thing.

One question I have: Do you also take salt tablets? Someone told me the endurolytes alone wouldn't be enough on a hot day at IM, that I needed the sodium. Any thoughts from your experiences?

Jeremey
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [jeremey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I DO take salt tablets...they are called Endurolytes! There's plenty of "salt" in Endurolytes...and they are much more balanced form of ion-forming material than plain old salt. However, I use G-Push, and the sodium content in it is a little higher than most other products. You just have to test yourself and see what works for you...that's the most important thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Hammer Nutrition, Sustained Energy [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. Thanks for the info. The endurolytes alone are working great for me so I'll stick with the current nutrition plan unless things change.

Jeremey
Quote Reply