Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Measuring Seat Tube angle
Quote | Reply
Here a question for all you Uber Bike Geometry Nerds out there, from a wanna be uber bike geometry nerd.

How do you measure the "effective seat tube angle" on a bike. By effective angle I mean the angle the rider is riding at. ie taking into account the variations of seat poisiton, seatposts: staright, forward, slack; the positions of the rider on the saddle: rides/perches forward, sits way back. So whats the go is it hip joint to bottom bracket, centre of saddle to bottom bracket?

Your input welcomed. and no I didn't forget... Please
Last edited by: Trinipples: Aug 29, 03 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring Seat Tube angle [Trinipples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the discussion I have seen measures this angle from the middle of the saddle to the center of the BB. Obviously your "effective" angle changes as you slide back and forth on the saddle, but that is not a very useful quantitative measurement. In that case, two people could ride the same bike with the same adjustments and have different seat angles.

Geometry nerd,
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring Seat Tube angle [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Art, so the cnetre of the saddle to bottom bracket wehn compared with the horizontal.

I do think that the position you ride on your saddle makes a difference iin terms of bike setup, and each saddle is of course different as well.

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply