Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LA Tri - Oly Course Advice?
Quote | Reply
Doing L.A. for the first time in a couple weeks. Any veterans of that race out there with tips on course management, strategy, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri - Oly Course Advice? [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IAG-

Tip #1-Be prepared to not know for sure if the swim course is the correct distance (it was 400 yards short in 2002)

Tip #2-Be prepared to stand around downtown LA in your race gear for several hours after you finish, while the race "organizers" bring your T1 stuff from Venice Beach to T2. (4 hour wait in 2001)

Tip #3-Be prepared for a teeth-chattering bike course due to ruts, potholes, and steel plates.(2000, 2001)

The bike course has a net elevation gain of a few hundred feet, and there seems to be very few times where you are going as fast as you should be for the level of effort, because you're constantly going on an uphill grade.

The run is basically three miles up and three miles down.

Jeff

Good Luck. With this being their fourth year at putting this race on, I hope Pacific Sports finally gets it right.
Quote Reply
Re: LA Tri - Oly Course Advice? [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go as hard as you can and blow up just at about the top of Angels point, grab a drink of water and run like hell back to the finish line. 14T.6 is right on with his post. I would add one thing, registration seems to be a little chaotic (as least on Friday). But every year I have come back because it is fun and it is the only race I can say I have done every year since it started.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Rip Off [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about doing this race; then I saw the entry fee. $125?????? For a race that (I've heard before also) isn't very well organized? And the late registration fee is $145.

Is it me, or is this excessive for an olympic race? I know a point-to-point course must involve more expenses, but I think this is too much money.
Quote Reply
LA TRI [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the negative comments above are from previouse years (2000-2001). Last year was the first time I did LA and went into it thinking it was going to be a logistical nightmare. It was the complete opposite. Actually, that race is my favorite for the whole year. First, some advice. Do not use the goody bag for either of your transition bags. EVERYBODY uses the goody bags, and I saw tons of people take way too long to find theirs in T2 (the race volunteers set up your T2). Bring your own bags, and make sure they stick out a bit so they are easy to locate in a rush. Like a previous poster said, the bike is always a false flat going uphill. I had a pretty good bike last year, and I remember I benefitted from someone's advice regarding playing with your cadence a bit to break up the false flat uphill. And the roads are fine. It's really a blast getting to ride downtown LA with no cars. Have fun
Quote Reply