Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another viewpoint on "illegal" workers [sp in az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused by your, "so called" illegal immigrants comment. What does that imply? That they're not really illegal? Or that the laws have been so bastardized that there's really no such thing as an illegal immigrant? Please clarify.

I'm more for legalizing them than ignoring them, but by doing so, we're likely to see similar retail economic results as we would if we deported them. When the employers start to have to pay higher wages and taxes, prices will go up. I say let's make sure that people who are here legally have work before arbitrarily legalizing tens of thousands of illegal immigrants whose very first act in this country was breaking its laws.

As for us being the beneficiaries of their work, I'm quite willing to pay higher prices to remedy this situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: Sweet Revenge (Bikes vs Automobiles) [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now if this person was illegal, they could be jailed until trial. However, once the trial is over and sentencing is proposed, deportation is an option to the prosecution. If the illegal is deported, what kind of sentence is that for vehicular manslaughter? who's to say they won't get back into the state and start the cycle all over again?

I'm sure our resident tri lawyers can diseminate this better than I can, but that's how I see it at this point.

If the person were convicted of vehicular manslaughter they would go to jail, plain and simple. At the end of their sentence they would be handed directly over to immigration officials. They would probably then be held in custody until they were deported. You don't get to be deported until after you have served your sentence. (the above should in no way be regarded as legal advice as I despised practicing law and would not even pretend to do so in passing any more :) )

Alien, resident, citizen, legal, or illegal if you run over a cyclist the most common response from police still seems to be indifference in most cases. On the other hand at the race I was at last weekend I went back out on the course to cheer on my wife and got to talking to a couple of Ohio State Highway Patrolmen. They were both avid cyclists and runners since Ohio requires their state troopers to pass running tests and other physical tests. They both talked about how much they relish nailing drivers that endanger cyclists. The one said he loved it when the excuse was that they didn't notice the cyclist like it would get them off. He said his response was always, "Oh, so you just decided to get in a two ton vehicle this morning and go barreling down the road without regard to the fact that there are other people's kids, husbands, and wives on the road."

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next