Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?)
Quote | Reply
Yeah i know this is stupid, but I really don't know what it is.

Is it the way some people (most people) move their feet outwards (ie the toes don't point straight forward).

What is it?????????????????????????????

edit: what type of movement is it?
Last edited by: freestyle: Aug 26, 03 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pronation is the natural roll from the outside of the foot inward toward the big toe while running. Overpronation is too much rol which causes several problems including I-T tendonitis. Stability shoes usually help to correct the problem, some people use both stability shoes and orthotics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an under-pronator who has spent more time and money at the foot doc than I care to admit. I've received more pronation lectures than anyone really needs.

Pronation is your foot's natural mechanism to absorb shock, store a little energy and rebound you forward. "Ideally" you land slightly forward of your heel, with your weight concentrated on the outside of your foot. As your whole foot comes into contact with the ground, your weight shifts across the middle of your foot, so that as your heel lifts and you are toeing off, the weight is roughly over the ball of your foot, or over your first two toes. Your foot and ankle conspire to do this by rotating your ankle over and across your foot as your foot stays stuck to the ground.

Your weight effectively transfers from "out" to "in" as your body moves forward over your foot. Too little of this transfer is bad, since your weight stays on the outside of your foot the whole way. You don't get enough shock absorption going. High, rigid arches are characteristic of under-pronation, I am told. I got chronic plantar fascitis from this.

Too much weight transfer is bad too, because your foot is collapsing too far as it rotates inward. Flat-ish feet are characteristic of under-pronation.

Both of these issues can cause other ailments up the leg and lower back due to all sorts of alignment problems that are going on. Orthotics and/or "motion control" shoes of varying degrees of support are the standard cures. I just got new orthotics and I hope they can help my foot pain go away.
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strike a pose julian. yes you must pose your way to less pain. www.posetech.com. i am a flat footed, fat, overpronator with a bad attitude but i run smoothly and lightly by simply striking a pose and falling. www.posetech.com. www.posetech.com. yes my wonderful friend strike a pose!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too, am a proud former overpronating poser. (Phew! Say that 3 times fast!)

Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i knew there was a auora of greatness around your posts.

Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kate the Great?? ME LIKEY! ME LIKEY! CustomerJon the Bomb? CustomerJon rocks on? Needs work, but we'll get it there.

~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this grammar/ spelling rant spreading to other posts?? -OR- is someone experiencing a cranial-rectal inversion? (figure it out)

~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, the post above is meant as a joke. I suppose I'm sarcastic by nature, and there doesn't seem to be much humor on the ol' board today. I apologize in advance for any and all offensive comments I may or may not make today.

~Teddy Roosevelt
Last edited by: kategt: Aug 28, 03 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I'll bite.

Tell us more about the pose method.

I checked out the website but it doesn't say much. Does it work? Will it help with IT Band Syndrome? My knees are pretty junked, and I want to run again dammit.

----
Aerosexual.
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [andy497] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pose was created by Dr. Nicholas Romanov and has been adopted by the USA olympic triathlon team. It's basically a method of running that works with gravity instead of against it. It's about aligning your body the right way, and falling on the front 1/2, (not really the ball, but definitely not the heel) of your foot. There's more to it than that, and it takes some practice, but the results are incredible.

As you get better at it, you'll find that you expend far less effort while running, thereby increasing your endurance. Once you get the technique down, you work your speed by increasing leg turnover, not your gait. You should get the video - it's way worth the $30. Also, you can most likely find a PoseTEch coach who offers clinics in your area.

Unless you have actual damage, Posing should greatly alleviate your IT issues - it did mine. I do still use the roller on a regular basis though. Hope this helps.

~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so a couple of people have established that the pose method of running works well for those who over pronate. What about those us who do the other way and supernate? Is it still effective at injury prevention? I have been dealing with peroneal tendonitis in my left ankel for a couple of months. I am racing this weekend in Monster in Boston and have run once in the last 3 months.

So, I'm looking for things to help with the running.

Thanks.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [rshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yes my friend pose will help you. since will not be using the counter productive hellstrike. in this technique you will land on your midfoot and instantly lift it back up. this will cut the amount of time you supernate and decrease impact forces. get the book or video and learn how to become one with gravity.

www.posetech.com will get you started.

Quote Reply
Re: (stupid question) what is pronation (and over pronation?) [rshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, listen to yodajon;)

Pose wasn't created specifically for over or supernators, but rather is a universally more effective and less-injury prone method of running. Most injuries are caused by some flaw in technique. Once you've correctly adapted the pose method, these flaws should be remedied. I don't want to discourage you, in fact RUN don't walk to buy the book/video, but it's unlikely you'll be successfully posing in 2 days.

If you practice thogh, it should certainly help you in your next race. It took me a couple weeks to start to really feel the difference. What about you yoda?

~Teddy Roosevelt
Last edited by: kategt: Aug 29, 03 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pronator = knock-kneed, usually flat footed

supinator (or under-pronator) = bow legged, often high-arched

And for all you anti-heel strikers out there, have a look at a little marathoner named Khalid Kannouchi (sp?) and maybe have a quick look at the men's 5000m at the world track & field champs.

Quote Reply