Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for mechanics re: Shimano upgrades
Quote | Reply
I want to upgrade a classic old lugged steel frame to modern components. I have Shimano 105 6 sp (indexed) and want to upgrade to 9 sp. STI. The rear 126 mm triangle is no problem as I can pop in a 130 mm wheel with minimal effort. That's the nice thing about steel.

I believe that the old 105 cranks and front derailleur are compatible with 9 sp STI but am unsure about the rear derailleur. I assume it isn't?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for mechanics re: Shimano upgrades [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to keep your old 6 sp rear derailuer and use it with STI? I doubt that would work. If so you may need to get the Modolo STI shifters. I converted my Bob Jackson, 531 steel frame, from 7 speed to a whole 9sp 105 group and it went just fine.

As for keeping some of your old parts, I can't say. I wanted everything updated so I replaced it all. Go to www.roadbikereview.com and place your question on in the Components forum. There's a lot of people there who will answer all your questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for mechanics re: Shimano upgrades [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you will need at least an 8spd derr. you should also have the rear triangle spaced for 9spd, because even though you can bend it, unless it is cold set with the der hanger aligned, it will have slight shifting problems.

tommy
Quote Reply