Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Adamo?
Quote | Reply
So I've got the Shebeest shorts, Beljum Budder, and had a professional bike fit. I am still having pain problems on my Koobi saddle (and tried Selle SMP Glide previously) on every ride except when I do a mainly mountain climbing ride. I no longer get tearing thanks to the Beljum Budder, but I must change positions regularly to prevent general soreness and sometimes hotspots of pressure. Sometimes after I've changed positions, I get a hard to describe feeling as if my nether region has blood rushing back into it.

Thinking of getting the Adamo now. Please give me advice on which one I should get. I have been doing lots of research, but many postings indicate the Adamo is preferred, but not which model. I notice lots of love out there for the Race and Road, but I am open to any suggestions.

1. I ride a road bike with my hands on the hoods most of the time but for my Olympic tris and when I'm pulling the "peleton" I use my aero bar attachments.
2. My hips are narrow (35 inches).
3. I ride about 100 km/week year round, but need to be able to ride up to 150 km since I also do Granfondos etc.

Thank you. I notice that the prices have come down to the low 100s, so it's time to buy!
Last edited by: karencoutts: Aug 20, 12 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go directly to the expert: dave@ismseat.com

He can steer you in the right direction.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typhoon. (http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-typhoon). Mine is softer than the racing saddle. I ***love*** this saddle. It and the professional bike fit together have completely changed my experience riding.

For starters, I went to a bike shop that actually allows you to test saddles. I left my credit card number (to cover the price if I walked away and never returned it), and was able to borrow a tester saddle for a couple of weeks at a time. I started with a Terri (forgive me, I don't remember the model), and was very happy with it. But I thought that I should not settle for the first saddle I tried. So I tried the Typhoon next, and I loved it even more. That was enough for me - I bought one for my road bike, which I did Ironman Lake Placid on (so I understand your desires to be comfortable both on the hoods and in the aerobars). I shortly thereafter got a 2nd hand tri bike (Cervelo) and immediately purchased another Adamo Typhoon saddle.

That said, my friend (who has also had a number of serious discomforts on her bike) bought one and didn't like it at all. Turns out she has the harder racing model (and also had a non-optimal bike fit at the time she tried the saddle).

Bottom line - see if you can find a shop that will let you take saddles out for several test rides. This way you only end up spending 3-digits on a saddle you love. Good luck!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the email contact, clm. I had been on the website for Adamo, and did not come up with a definitive answer when using their decision tree.

I am still waiting for a reply, and we're coming up to 48 hours. I hope I get an answer. Will post when I hear back.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this recommendation, Tsunami. I am liking this possibility. It seems like there are only two objections to it: the weight of 385 g (over the road, which is 325 g, but only 60 g difference is worth it!), and its "ugliness". Frankly, I don't care about ugliness as I've never been one to choose beauty over comfort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your search, I am curious to see what ends up working for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the response from Laura at ISM. I was quite surprised by the recommendation, but an ISM person would know best, right?

Thank you for contacting ISM Saddles.

Due to amount of riding and the type of riding that you do, I would recommend either the ISM Time Trial Saddle or the ISM Podium Saddle. Both of these saddles have a foam base, with gel pads. They both have sloped front arms, which help avoid any pressure spots. In addition, you can rotate your hips further forward which results in better wattage due to more aggressive positioning.

The difference between the two is that the ISM Podium is longer in the back, and cut further back to allow for more hamstring movement. If you are doing hills and/or often move fore and aft on your saddle, this one will give you more room to move. The Time Trial Saddle is a saddle that you “settle in” on and don’t move around as much. Many racers use this saddle and find that they can increase their speed because of the comfort it provides. It is not as long as the ISM Podium (in the back) and it flairs out more than the ISM Podium Saddle.

It because a personal choice but what is most important, regardless of the saddle, is the set up. Our saddles need to be placed lower than the standard saddle, because you are sitting on your sit bones and not your soft tissue area. In addition, the saddle sits up higher. Also, we took 2 inches off the front of a standard saddle, so the point that the front arms slope down on our saddles, should not be any further forward than the midpoint of your thigh. Many bike shops fit people too high and/or too far forward on our saddles, so I just give you that small advise. We have a video on our website that you can also review or you can always contact us if you have any questions.

I hope this information is helpful to you and again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried the ISM Adsmo - Time Trial, Road and Breakway. Absolutely love the Breakaway. It did take me about 600 miles to break it in, which is fairly common for ISM saddles

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would strongly recommend using a test saddle option before buying, either through a LBS or through an online retailer like Trisports. The difference between the models may seem slight but I found that one would cripple me while another was great. Also, your riding position, shorts, weight, personal anatomy all factor greatly in this. I cannot use the Adamo on my road bike, with heavily padded shorts, or without a longer cockpit. On my tri bike, I found it to be a saving grace... with all new shorts and 40 lbs lighter, I might add. I liked the TT and the Breakaway but went with the breakaway because I wasn't in the mood to replace my stem. Had I taken that step, the TT was actually better. I have been a little stoooopid about buying equipment and at this point have accumulated enough stuff that doesn't work to open my own store!

Coach Brain: Accelerate 3 ; Incoherent Ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can give you my experience on them.

First saddle ever had was an Adamo Race. Took a good 500 miles to break in with some serious adjustments to my TT position (long story how it was so bad). It's a bit hard, so I thought I'd try the Breakaway after the write up here on ST. Wow, there was some serious chaffing, not just breaking in. Switched back to the race and all is good. From what I've read, the Road is the same saddle with more padding, so I'll probably order that. My fit is great.
As for the Typhoon... I have that on my road bike. Love it. Ended up with it bc my local bike shop had it laying around and I'm friends with guys up there so I got it for free :)
I've yet to have any real issues with these saddles that people complain about (numbness, etc) so I'm sticking with them. I mean seriously, how comfortable can these things really be after 50, 100 miles anyways?
Maybe one of the other saddles might open my hips, a touch more power output,etc. I'm not Kona qualifying now so I'll take chaffing, saddle sore, chaffing free for the time being.
Susan

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After ignoring this issue for a month, I've developed a saddle sore. So I did it tonight, I pulled the trigger on an Adamo Podium. Through probikekit it was $141, which includes shipping, and with $20 off using my husband's points, we're looking at $121.

I'll give y'all a report once I've given it a spin. Just wanted to let you know about the current sale for 15% off. Unfortunately, they only had white left, which looks cool and all, but I've definitely had need for a black saddle in the past on those special days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy with my Cobb, but am also always looking for something better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up getting the adamo breakaway. I will report back after I have it for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally rode my Adamo Podium for the first time, and took a big risk by not trying it out before taking to the road. My husband, who is a precise type, mounted the saddle for me, after I forced him to watch Adamo's installation video together with me.

For my first ride, did 60 km, using a SheBeest premium short (and Beljum Budder). Initial impression is that yes, it felt like I was perched on the end of a 2x4, albeit a comfy 2x4. It felt like I was sitting on a hard rectangular end of a 2x4, shape wise. The immediate sensation was that my weight was distributed over a larger, flat area, instead of the narrow nose of my old saddle.

I experienced no discomfort for the first 30 km, and did not feel the need to shift my weight/positioning to avoid hot spots. For the first time ever, I did not have to adjust my, um, stuff during the ride. I did, however, notice growing discomfort from pressure on my sit bones. Soreness might more accurately describe it, but it was really quite mild.

We stopped half an hour for coffee/lunch before continuing on. At that point I had been in the saddle for 1.5 hours (a leisure ride, not hammerfest).

When we resumed, I noticed that I was experiencing painful soreness along the area where my leg meets my crotch. My groin? As if was sore from my legs being cranked out too far apart. I solved this by moving forward on the seat, and the pain went away.

The rest of the ride was uneventful pain-wise. By the end of my 3 hours in the saddle (lots of stopping, but remaining seated), I had nothing more than slightly sore sit bones, rating about a 1/10 on the pain scale. After the ride, there was no pain at all. I'm pretty convinced that the width was perfect for me and that by some miracle, my husband mounted the seat near perfectly as well.

Verdict from my first ride: I am in love with my new saddle! Where have you been all my life? I will report back after a few more rides, including some harder ones where some climbing and/or hammering is involved.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Nov 4, 12 22:50
Quote Reply
Re: Which Adamo? [Honey~Badger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honey~Badger wrote:
I'm happy with my Cobb, but am also always looking for something better!

Yep. I moved from Adama to Cobb. My Adamo was great for over a year and the it just rubbed my inner thighs, I zip tied the front but it just wasn't enough. If the Cobb could be as cushy as Adamo...it would be perfect.
Quote Reply