Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paint???
Quote | Reply
I just finished painting a frame with Tremclad "Rust Paint" and it looks great. But I just discovered that it also scratches super easy! That's not good... So what now - should I apply a few coats of clearcoat over top, or use another (possibly enamel-based) paint on top? Please don't tell, me I need to strip the frame and do the whole job again...

Any tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Paint??? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a former life, I was an engineer for a company that dealt with automotive painting/paint finishing for OEM's. Though I've never had to deal with Tremclad, I would definitely recommend a clearcoat on top of the paint (probably 2-3 coats). Make sure that the color is dry and test the clearcoat with the Tremclad to make sure it will adhere to that surface.

Sorry I can't offer more advice - don't know much about this product!

-J
Quote Reply
Re: Paint??? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...go to mfg. site or call it's distributor... that's the only way to know for sure what you should do. Proper preparation and material is crucial. Some paints don't require clearcoat and considered a one step process. If the paint you have is a one step paint then the clear coat may not be necessary (or at best require a special kind clearcoat). Instead, it may have been the preperation you did before you painted that is causing your problem. Or worse yet, it could be the paint simply is not designed for the use on bike frames (yes, this can happen with some auto paints). Your problem is best solved by contacting the mfg.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply