Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How tight are your cycling shoes?
Quote | Reply
I wanted to get some feedback from this forum on cycling shoe fit. I think I understand that it is desirable to have little to no movement of your foot inside the shoe. But, does the snug fit lead to any problems on long rides - numbness, soreness, etc.

Just received a pair of SiDI T1s. They seem snug when putting them on and walking about the house, but on the bike it does not seem to be as much of an issue. Is a bit snug better than a bit loose? I have wide feet, so all these shoes seem narrow to me.

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How tight are your cycling shoes? [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also told that my cycling shoes needed to be snug to restrict foot movement inside the shoe, but have some problems with neuropathy due the metatarsals getting compressed together inside the shoe, especially over longer rides. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet, except to loosen the straps over the forefoot a little bit as the ride progresses and my feet swell. I don't wear tri-specific cycling shoes for training for this reason, just save 'em for the races. I don't know if that helps, but it's my experience FWIW.
Quote Reply
Re: How tight are your cycling shoes? [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a metatarsal pad in your shoes? It's just a small pad that is placed in the forefoot of your shoes that helps to keep them babies spread out. Worked like a charm for a friend that had the same issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last pair was quite snug, as recommended by the sales staff. I went from that pair to a set of Carnacs that were not only a bit bigger but that also have that nice big toe box. I for one will never go back to a snug shoe again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chubby hubby (what a name) check out bikesportmichigan.com. I think Tom Demerly did an article on bike shoes and how they are suppose to fit. They are not made for walking so don't worry about that. Not all shoes are created equal, ie some may be wider than others, one 45 may be a the same length as a 44.5 in another brand. Sort of like running shoes, you'll know when you have the right pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely not the expert Tom D is, but I didn't agree with his article at all. He basically said you want them extremely tight. (kinda like rock climbing shoes) For me personally, if my cycling shoes are the least bit too tight, my toes go numb and I'm miserable. This has just been my personal experience though...so take it for what it's worth.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: How tight are your cycling shoes? [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, KDM, I just got some from the podiatrist to try. Glad it worked for your friend, means there's hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sidis are better for narrow feet, IMHO. I have wide feet so I use Carnacs or Northwave. Also, when you first get them bike shoes should be a little tight because they do tend to stretch quite a bit, particularly Carnacs which are made of 'roo leather as I recall. My size 46 Carnac Legends are a bit big for me now so I bought a pair of 45s in the Carnac tri shoe. Without socks they are perfect....TODAY! :)

I don't understand how people can do an IM in shoes that are tight. Why? Our feet swell during the day and you just have to try to loosen them if you can. I"d rather be comfy on a long ride.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: How tight are your cycling shoes? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the assistance. The SiDIs are a bit tight in the forefoot, but I'm going to give them a try. Unlike cylcing shoes, the tri shoes seem to be more likely to stretch, like Robert suggests. They also seem well made, opening up the possibility of the local shoe repair shop (we still have these kind of guys on Main Steet in small-town America) can get me a bit more room with his shoe torture machine. We have a practice/workout tri tomorrow and I'll try them without socks, too.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: How tight are your cycling shoes? [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was also told that my cycling shoes needed to be snug to restrict foot movement inside the shoe, but have some problems with neuropathy due the metatarsals getting compressed together inside the shoe, especially over longer rides. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet...

I've been struggling with the same foot problem this year. It's called Morton's neuroma. So far I've tried pedals with a wider platform, shoes with a wider toe box, metatarsal pads, spongy shoe inserts, and non-custom orthotics.

The two things that have worked best for me are Shimano shoes and Peterson Power-Bed Ready-Fit orthotics.

I still haven't got it completely licked though. It's one of those over-use injuries that take a long time to heal. I'm quite certain that mine won't get better until after the race season.

Here's a tip on determining if your shoes are too tight. Take the insert out and stand on it with bare feet. See if any part of your fore foot hangs over the insert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have the opposite problem. I've been trying to find some new cycling shoes and running (sic) into a problem with sizing. I have narrow feet, but am around a size 44-46 depending on brand. I was looking for a pair of sidi t1's as it's been suggested that sidi's run narrow.

Well my LBS finally got sizes 45 and 46 in today, and I need the 46 to not have my big toe rubbing against the end. Problem is, they're so wide that the toebox bunches up in the middle when tightened and my heel moves up and down a fair bit. I thought of putting in thicker insoles, but that won't stop the ankle lifting.

So ultimately I'm looking for some advice. Any other shoes that you can suggest, or do you think the T1's are as good as I'm going to get with narrow shoes. Should there be space at the front of the toes (like running shoes) or do you normally have your toes up against the end. The bikesport michigan site suggests that road shoes should be REALLY tight, as you're not walking in them.

Getting stuck now with finding something that will work and hope you can help.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply