Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM shoe advice
Quote | Reply
I'm trying out my first IM in April 2004 (Australia). What can you recommend for shoes? I'm hoping I can run between 4:30-5:00 hrs. I'm 150lbs, low arches (practically flexible flat foot), pronator but stability shoes that are not overly stable work for me in training (NB740, Saucony X-terra). I try not to run with too much heel strike ala Pose method. I used Asics DS Racers for my half-IM and I regretted it! They did well on 10k though. Best training shoe I ever had was the old Adidas Supernova but it is now a rarity. I still want to try and use a lighter shoe for the IM, maybe a DS trainer or Supernova performance, or maybe even just get a new pair of my NB330s.

Question is--if i'm only hoping for a 4:30 best case scenario, should I even be thinking of lightweight shoes? Any recommendations?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: IM shoe advice [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using the Pose Method, what about these shoes recommended on their web site? http://www.posetech.com/store/shoe.html. One says it's good for marathons. Asics DS Racer isn't one of them. Perhaps that's why it didn't work too well for your 1/2 IM.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about specific shoes for pose but I also try to run more on my toes. I used to use the DS Trainers for marathons which were great but found (unlike you) that the DS Racer suited me fine for those distances.

The DS Trainer is a good shoe so I would recommend that. I'm ~150lbs too and no significant pronation.

dt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Question is--if i'm only hoping for a 4:30 best case scenario, should I even be thinking of lightweight shoes? Any recommendations?[/quote]

I use lightweight racing shoes (NB 920 triathlon race flat) only for races up to 10km. If the triathlon is lonfer than olympic distance I use my training shoes. Three weeks ago I run 3:50 in a IM with my training shoes. Over these distances cushion is more important than weight for me.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my DS-trainer(2002, the best model) for my Ironman (have only made one) and I think I suprised everyone with my marathontime on 3:54. Really love my DS-trainer. Too bad that they have changed the model for 2003.

My two cents...

Best Regards Dave

Quote | Reply
I'm on the Asics DS Trainer boat as well. I use them for everyday runs, 3 mararthons and 2 IM's. They did change this year and I hear they have a different fit.

But that said, what works for my foot and stride, may be horrible for you. Go to a shoe store with salesman who run and try on many shoes and run on them outside the store. The good running shoe stores let you do this and actually watch your stride and make shoe recommendations based on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, if you are a Pose type mid to forefoot striker, you are wasting your time with shoes that have stability or motion control built into the heel like the DS series. The heels in those shoes are designed to guide a heel striker in a more neutral path throughout the stride. If you are striking at the forefoot, you are taking that out of play.

Second, my philosophy on shoes for racing IMs or even marathons, is that unless you are looking at about a 3:00 marathon, you'll do better with a more substantial shoe. I run in the 2:50s for a standalone marathon and I've only used a racing flat (Nike Air Mariah) one time in 54 marathons. I regretted that decision. I'm 5'9" and 165. I use lightweight trainers like the Asics Gel Verdict or Nike Skylon for my marathons. My advice to you for a 4:30-5:00 IM marathon is to wear the same shoes you train in. I'm guessing you are going to have a 12-15 hour day and that's a long time to be in gear that suits guys in the 8 hour range. For the same types of reasons you run your IM aero bar setup slightly higher than your sprint aero bar setup, you should use a more substantial shoe to run the marathon. Its all about comfort. Saving a 1-2 ounces in your shoes isn't worth it when your feet are hurting too much for you to run.
Quote Reply