Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMLP Lodging
Quote | Reply
Doing IMLP next July and if anyone out there has any suggestions on where to stay I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Lodging [LMS11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend either the Holiday Inn Resort or the Best Western. Holiday Inn is behind the Olympic Training Center which is next to the transition oval. Approx 1/2 mile from your hotel door step to transition. The only thing is the hill that the hotel sits on is pretty darn steep. With advanced reservations I paid about $150.00 per night.

The Best Western which is across the street from the Holiday Inn, also looks great. Benefit is that they do not have the hill, they are street level. As for prices I don't remember.

My advice is to book them right away. There are other hotels in the area, with cheeper rates, but then you are also a little farther away. I chose the Holiday Inn because it was the closest to transition, and my wife was 7-months pregnant at the time. I wanted her to be close to the hotel to take naps if she needed to while I was out on the bike and run.

Good luck at LP next year, hopefully the rain will stay away for you and everyone else.

-Joe
Last edited by: Kinesio: Aug 21, 03 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a house in willimington this year. The house was great and was right on the bike course. It had 4 beedrooms, 3 baths and a room where I could put a bike stand, bike and all th fixin's. It cost about 160 a night. I looked for a condo in LP but was to late. IMO it is the only way to go, more room, kitchen and room. Sure I had to drive to the race but the drive was senic and i got to know the area.

there are several rental place around, search for the "Essex county visitors" site
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. My daughter, who will be 1.5 years old and wife will be joining so a place near the race site will be best I think.

Looking forward to the race. It will be my first (of hopefully many)IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed 2 years ago at the Best Western and it worked out great. You will be about 1/4 mile from

the swim start about 1/2 mile from T1. Get a room looking over the lake and every morning you can

open the blinds an see the big orange bouys about 100 yards off your porch. NICE. Just around the

corner from the hotel is the Black Bear. Good place to get food, not too terribly expensive, opened

at 5am (even on race day) cook whatever you wanted special, and convienent. I believe I paid about

$189 a night (ouch) but with family with 3 kids, they got totally involved with the race and could go back

and rest up during that long day called IRONMAN. You know what I am talking about here. The Holiday Inn

looked really nice to, across the street but up a nice steep hill. Just what you need after an IRONMAN.

There was a hotel across the street, small, but perfect location. There are more places around the area

that look really nice, just search them out. Get rooms quick.............real quick.

Mark

IMUSA '02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best Western was sold out a couple days after IMLP 03 (and they had a 5 night minimum). I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the hill (4 night minimum) and I got a ride up the hill after the race. Worked out fine.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Lodging [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I want to thank you for posting this thread. I knew in the back of my head that I should have thought about this when I registered for the race, but of course I put it off.

I called both The Best Western and the Holiday Inn this morning, and here's the deal:

The Best Western has a 5 night minimum, and is currently sold out. They have a wait list starting in January(If you call before me, I'll smack you.), and said that they get cancellations up to the day before the race. The room rates are $199 lakeside/$189 villageside. The woman I spoke to was very friendly and helpful.

The Holiday Inn has a lot of rooms available. The woman I spoke to said around 175 are available. They have a four night minimum, and start at $239/night, plus 10% state room tax. They have a $100 cancellation fee, and will charge the full amount with no refunds one month ahead of time. The woman I spoke to made it very clear that if you book with them that they are getting some money. Specifically, she said, "If you book with us then you should be very sure where you will be next year". Zoiks! Um, I have my race entry, but I can't promise that I won't get hit by a car in the next 11 months.

So it looks like you will end up paying about the same amount whether you stay in one or the other, if you stay the minimum nights. When I stayed up there for Tupper Lake, I found 3 days was plenty, but want to stay four days so I can go to rolldown(Ahh, delusions of grandeur!) IMHO, LP is not exciting enough to stay any longer.

I would encourage people to check out some of the places a few miles away. I stayed in Saranac Lake, less than 8 miles away, for under $100/night for Tupper Lake. I don't know whether people are up for driving a few miles after racing an Ironman, but $1,200 for 4 nights in Lake Placid is a crapload of money.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Hilton. Its right on the lake. Not the cheapest, but very very convenient (plus it has a pool, access to paddle boats, etc. for your family.) If you book through the Lake Placid Visitors office (its on the IMUSA website), you have until something like April to back out with a full refund. Even after that, you can still get a full refund if they can re-rent the room.
Quote Reply
Re: IMLP Lodging [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to IMLP to watch the race and stayed in Tupper lake at a camp ground or $10. 00 a night .It was a 30 mile ride to LP but I am that cheep. I stayed their for the tinman at Tupper and I loved it and so did my kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed at the Wood Lake Motor Inn this year. It's older, but newly renovated, and very clean. The price is reasonable. Rooms are big enough, and the beds were very comfortable. It's just over the top of the hill beyond the Hilton about a few hundred yards (and on the other side of the street - Sarnac Street I think). It's probably not the best if you have children, as the pool is now a nice rock garden, so there is not a lot for them to do. I will probably stay there again next year too. Here's the info:

Wood Lake Motor Inn - $78.00/night with a 5 night minimum

(518) 523-2750

Point of Contact: Zoi
Quote Reply