Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's the strongest / most endurent chain out there ? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Mounting the quick link in the lower chain string 11 should be read like 11 ..

.. my first description was out of pointsymetrical memory and therefore confusing, sorry :-)
THis matches with the installation manual that I found. Thanks! (Much easier to understand this way!).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the strongest / most endurent chain out there ? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.. it's another manual miracle why they don't point out the inward and outward shape of the quick link for the chain loop in their own mounting instruction .. uups .. it's from 29.01.2009, 16:52 .. maybe they just forgot about it ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: What's the strongest / most endurent chain out there ? [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't understand how you keep referring to inside and outside orientation - the inside (if you mean frame-side) and outside look exactly the same because the two pieces are exactly the same. It's about an upside down vs right side up orientation.

Anyway, I hadn't paid attention to the orientation so I had the quick link upside down on 2 out of 3 bikes that have the Premier / Connex chain. Installed correctly now and the rattle is gone. Thank you all for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: What's the strongest / most endurent chain out there ? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
I still don't understand how you keep referring to inside and outside orientation - the inside (if you mean frame-side) and outside look exactly the same because the two pieces are exactly the same. It's about an upside down vs right side up orientation.

Anyway, I hadn't paid attention to the orientation so I had the quick link upside down on 2 out of 3 bikes that have the Premier / Connex chain. Installed correctly now and the rattle is gone. Thank you all for the help!

Took me a while to get it too. He means "inside" as in the side of the chain that contacts the cassette and chainrings. As opposed to the "outside" which is the side you see when you look down at your chainrings. Like an "O" has an inside and outside, a loop of chain has an inside and an outside.

Count me in as another member of the Wipperman Chain Used To Skip Club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inside and outside of the chain loop is not orientated toward ore away from the bike .. the reference in this case is the loop of the chain // inside is the surface of the chain that contacts the cogs and outside is the non contact surface/side .. the inside surface of the quick link should be the flatter shape [green box] to prevent skipping on the smallest cog 100% ..

edit: my very first description referring the closure ring was confusing because the two link parts are not flipped in two axis when closed, just in one as you recognized absolutely correct ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Dec 16, 18 23:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sausskross wrote:
Inside and outside of the chain loop is not orientated toward ore away from the bike .. the reference in this case is the loop of the chain // inside is the surface of the chain that contacts the cogs and outside is the non contact surface/side .. the inside surface of the quick link should be the flatter shape [green box] to prevent skipping on the smallest cog 100% ..

edit: my very first description referring the closure ring was confusing because the two link parts are not flipped in two axis when closed, just in one as you recognized absolutely correct ..
i get it now, thanks! Ultimately this is one where a simple drawing as they have in the instructions says it best. It’s just too bad that there is no mention there’s a right way and a wrong way to install the link. I installed 3 chains recently, one correct and two incorrect because I just did not pay attention to the orientation. There’s bound to be other customers who do it wrong and end up not liking the chain because it skips or rattles on the smallest cog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They got a friendly e-mail in their language .. let's see if they show interest ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply

Prev Next