marathon and 2 min for a marathon? Or should I be trying to stay at a
5:30-5:45 pace for speedwork and just take the times at the different
distances in races?

thank you
sean
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork split times? [simplysean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runnersworld.com has some sensible calculators for targeting training paces (speedwork; tempo; long run; etc.) against goal race times of varying distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that if you can do entire workouts at paces much faster than your goal pace that you should keep doing them that way. Eventually you'll get to running paces close to that in your races and have some awesome personal bests ....... just don't start your marathon out at 5:30 if your current pace is 7:26 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork split times? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a rather good book by Jack Daniels called "Daniels' Running Formula". I run some with a guy who has qualified twice for the olympic trials and he swears by it. Daniels breaks down your training paces based upon your current race times. Worth the read to get the speed.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"when I did 6X1 mile repeats while training, I ran a 5:30-5:45/mile pace. Was this right?"

i would say that if you were going to do 6 x 1 mile that's quite a few repeat miles, and you might as well do them as fast as you can. there's no virtue in doing them more slowly. if you were doing 3 x 1 mile in 5:30, and you were training for a marathon, then i'd say slow it down and do 5 or 6 repeat miles. but you're already doing 6 miles.

the virtue in your pace is that you're only going to race more than just marathons. the 5:30-45 pace is good, because you're probably capable of holding 6:30-45 for a half marathon as a result, and i'm sure that, as a marathoner, you'll do at least a couple of half marathons during your race season.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: Speedwork split times? [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Per Olaf Astrand would disagree with you."

is he still alive? and if so, would he have an opinion? isn't he more likely to study mice mitochondria after intervals on an exercise wheel?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork split times? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is a rather good book by Jack Daniels called "Daniels' Running Formula". I run some with a guy who has qualified twice for the olympic trials and he swears by it. Daniels breaks down your training paces based upon your current race times. Worth the read to get the speed.

Jack was my coach when I ran track and cross country in college. I still keep in contact with him every now and then. His book and programs are something you should look at. He has comprehensive Vdot charts that break down every pace that you should be training at (Rep, Interval, Threshold and base) These paces or targets that you hit in training runs are geared for what your ability is, and they work very well. A quick summary of his paces-

Base- which is steady state running, this benifits all cellular adaptions. This running responds to time not intensity so EASY is the key.

Repetition- develops speed and economy- the economy factor is important to us in tris. It is desirable to work on the economy factor early in the season and then maintain it throughout with strides and the occasional light rep session. Short rep sessions take the longest recovery time so it should be avoided late in the week or late in the season when you do not want to feel dead legged. Rule of thimb on pace if you do not have the Vdot charts 6 seconds per 400 meters FASTER thanyour PR 5k pace. You do each rep when you are fully recovered from the previous one. This provides desireable results without overburdening your anaerobic muscle characteristics.

Good rep w/o 6x200, 4x400, 2x200

Interval-or Vo2Max training- this increases your Vo2max, or maximum work capacity. Having a high max depends on good cellular adaption( as the result of good steady state running/EASY running) The best speed for intervals is one tha requires Vo2max BUT DOES NOT OVERSTRESS THE SYSTEM. To go TOO FAST does not do a better job, it just makes you more tired,requires longer recovery, and makes for an unenjoyable workout with lactic acid buildup. pace rule of thumb- 5k race pace (open run, not a leg in a tri or du) There is an equal work/rest ratio here.

Good Int W/O 2x1200, 2x1000, 2x800, all equal work/rest

Threshold-the purpose of this pace is for improving endurance, the ability to work close to the maximum work capacity that steady state runs and Intervals have provided you with. The higher your threshold (at) the faster you can go without blowing up. threshold workouts fine tune your system to allow a higher intensity for longer. It is designed to put and maintain a certain amount lactate acid in your system (blood) so your body learns to deal with or tolerate this "threshold" amount. Doing TH workouts too slow doesn't get the desired amount of lactate, going too fast overloads the system and produces less than desirable results. This is a clear case of going to hard being detrimental in terms of the desired results. When I get an athlete's AT from my cardiocoach, I design their AT "Zone" this 5-8 beat zone jives with what Jack prescribes for his Vdot paces (factors such as weather, time of day hydration all play a part< thus the zone, not just one #) Pace is 6 seconds per 400meters SLOWER than 5k race pace.

Good TH w/o- steady tempo runs of 20 min x2 with 2 min recovery

Cruise Intervals or Tempo Intervals- 6x1200 with 1 min rest

1milex6 with 1 min rest or even 2milesx6 with 2 min rest for marathon training.

Tempo runs are better for teaching concentration, Cruise Intervals allow for more work to be done. Both have their place.

Hope this helps

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Last edited by: jasonogk: Aug 21, 03 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork split times? [jasonogk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, I ordered the Daniel's Book yesterday. From the sound of it, the book will answer most,if not all or more of my questions. thanks sean
Quote Reply