Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UGH> Now I know why there are few single Moms who train for the IM distance.
Quote | Reply
** Be warned>>> this is just me whining **

I had it all planned out, after a week with the kids, they were going to their Dads for one day so I could get a long ride and long run in before we headed to the East coast for three weeks on tuesday. Well one hour into my 4-5 hour brink I get 14 frantic phone calls from the ex. My daughter crashed on her bike and wanted her Mom and he was bringing her over, because I needed to take care of her because you are in nursing school!

So she ended up staying the night(she was just scraped up), I had asked if he could take them so maybe I could salvage ONE long workout this weekend. Instead he dropped my son AND a friend off at my house this afternoon.

I am bummed because I had about 8 hours of training planned and I got one. (I am training for IM LOU and so I am in critical phase as well).

Such a bummer, hope I can figure it out by race day, I feel like I am so unprepared!
Quote Reply
Re: UGH> Now I know why there are few single Moms who train for the IM distance. [lesage918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is certainly a challenge. I trained for my one and only IM with two younger children around, but wasn't a single mother. I think you need to find a really great babysitter who the kids adore. That way, they'll enjoy it when you have him/her over to watch them while you train. I know that mother guilt will kick in if they don't love their babysitter, so it has to be someone really cool who they love to have over. The babysitter can be your backup when Dad bails.

Good luck with the rest of your training.
Quote Reply
Re: UGH> Now I know why there are few single Moms who train for the IM distance. [lesage918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. My kids are a little older now, but it's a challenge. My ex left the state when my kids were 2, 6, and 8, so all my training had to be done when it could be, and my mother would come over on sunday mornings so I could do a long run.

A couple thoughts come to mind:
1- can you get a trainer for you bike? I used that a lot when kids were littler - allowed me to be in the house and watch them and get an occasional work out in as well.
2 - If they are old enough, go out for quick run before they wake in the morning. Only if you feel they'll be safe for the hour until you come back
and most importantly -
3 - as much as it sucks to interrupt your training - your kids want you. That's the most important thing in the world. I know it is frustrating not to get the training in, but there will be a day when you want them to be around and they'll be off w/ their friends, so enjoy it while you can (I say this from an old woman's standpoint of two in college, and one in high school - it goes by fast).
Quote Reply
Re: UGH> Now I know why there are few single Moms who train for the IM distance. [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I think I really just needed to vent, this is my first IM so I am a little nervous about not getting the training. I also understand that my kids need me, especially when they are hurt, so I become so torn and then frustrated with the whole thing.

I have rollers and I do ride them, thats what I ended up doing yesterday. I swim with them a lot cause I can swim laps and they can play. They are 7 and 9.
Thanks for the support. Only 5.5 weeks to go! Ahhhh!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't even imagine training for an IM as a single mom. Mad respect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally get the vent. Well deserved, I might add.

The biggest thing I can say to you right now is... You're going to do great on your IM. I know missing any workouts is horrible, but you've been training for 6 months. You need to trust in all that you've done. Enjoy your day. you earned it!!!

And your kids are going to brag about you and what you're doing. They're very proud of you, and you are showing them that huge goals can be accomplished w/ hard work. Well done!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man -- I'm also training for IMLOU and am feeling frantic right now. Never mind that I've been training consistently since January, it's suddenly as if the only thing that matters is what I do TODAY! I've got two (3 & 6) and a husband who works weekends, so I hear ya on the tricky long workouts, but am sure I have no idea how tough it is as a single parent. Hang in there; the end is near!

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mad props to you for doing an IM period!! I've got 2 kids, a husband who works crazy stupid hours and I can't seem to do maore than walk a few days a week at this point. So for anyone out there training for an IM - respect from here!! You'll do great - if you're only 5.5 weeks out - you got it - the training is there! Have fun!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain! As a single mother, you plan your training to maximize every child free moment you have and when the plan goes wrong, it can be so frustrating. You will especially enjoy your Ironman day...you have up to 17 hours all to yourself!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you met any others who are training in our area that have kids? Maybe you could try and switch off child care with them for training time. Sure wish I could do that!

Good luck and much respect.

Lana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I did IMLOU in 2009 as my first IM too and also as a single mom. I too am a nurse and work the infamous 12hr shifts so training in the evenings was out... I found it satisfying (and exhausting) to get up very early (like 4am) and bike indoors on my trainer with a video (or sometimes just watched the news to keep up on life). Then shower and get the kids up for the day by 6ish and to work by 0700. Even most of my long rides were done indoors (even my century rides... crazy I know and incredibly boring to spend 5-6hrs on a trainer watching a video) A few things did help me:
1. I agree, get the trainer, get a couple good videos and try to involve your kiddos too. My oldest was "responsible" to bring me a pre-made hammer bottle at intervals during my longer indoor rides. She also would read to me her favorite book while I rode (which I really didn't pay much attention to but she didn't know). My oldest would also sit on the couch next to me and tell me if it "sounded" like I was slowing down while she played with her nintendo DS. Get used to riding while watching some pretty silly kiddo videos (the ones that I usually TOTALLY avoid)
2. For runs, if your kids are old enough ask them to ride their bike while you run. Again,my oldest loved to carry a hydration pack and it make her stick close to me because I told her how important it was that I could drink while in the hot sun of summer, she drank too!
3. Swim in pools with a life guard, that way you can do your laps and there are another set of eyes that can keep a watch out for your kids. Whenever possible, let them bring a friend with them to keep them all happy (my kids play better with friends than with each other)

Remember that it's a long day and the best way to get through it is to smile and enjoy it. Laugh off the parts that don't go as planned and enjoy every possible second of the day. Honestly, I rank IM finishes right up there as one of my happiest days ever!

Good luck! and vent on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your ex is a useless arsehole. You are allowing him to use your motherly instincts and guilt to treat you like a door mat. Next time put your damn foot down and tell him that he has to deal with it. It will hurt you to do so, thinking about your children being distressed, but in the long run it will be better for all. Then, when you have finished your session, call back to see how it's going and then if you really feel the need to you can help out. We men are actually pretty capable when we are pushed to take responsibility, in fact most of us secretly really like it.

Don't be his fallback and don't put your needs last.
Quote Reply
Re: UGH> Now I know why there are few single Moms who train for the IM distance. [stikman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stikman wrote:
Your ex is a useless arsehole.

YES! While his name is John... He is saved in my phone as "Dick." I am working on not answering my phone.

THanks for the pep talk.
Quote Reply