Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf cramps - suggestions?
Quote | Reply
Did my first brick workout of the year today - a 20 mile fairly hard ride followed by a 3 mile run. Almost as soon as I started running my calves tightened up and almost started cramping - thought I was going to have to stop and walk for a minute. Then about 1/4 mile into the run the tightness went away and I was fine. I realize this is obviously from undertraining but it still surprised me as I never have this problem when just doing my running workouts alone. I had a foot injury earlier in the year and my running has been "very" limited the past couple of months but my cycling has been way up there, 100 to 150 miles per week consistenly. My question is what's the best way to deal with this problem? I have my "A" event, Catalina Tri, coming up in 12 weeks and I need this to be long gone by then! I'm thinking:

1) More brick training obviously.

2) What about stretching the calves during the last 1/2 mile on the bike? This would cost time though.

3) Would standing up and pedaling towards the end of the ride help, perhaps simulating running?

Obviously all the blood is in the upper legs then suddenly the calves are expected to kick in. Anyone experience this problem? Suggestions please...

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Last edited by: TCR2: Aug 17, 03 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: Calf cramps - suggestions? [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could have been dehyrdated. Dehydration is known to cause calf cramps. And unless it's extremely serious, I would just run through it, once you're legs get going it should work itself out.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a timely article:

http://www.insidetriathlon.com/...articles/1693.0.html

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget cleat positioning...your cleats may be too far forward, needlessly exacerbating the calf muscle strain on the bike. But, like you said, not running the past few months is probably one of the biggest reasons...bricks may fix the problem if that is what it is. I used to get calf cramps until I took in more magnesium, another possibility.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply