Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me
Quote | Reply
i had it all planned out....

2000 & 2001 were the seasons to build up the long distances. 2002 was my first ironman.... i was a participant.... get the first one under the belt and 2003 would be the season to race it at wisconsin. literally a 4 year plan to see how fast i could do the distance.

this was the plan i negotiated with my family. my wife was entirely on board, but ready for my 2003 season to be over. i had promised that the throttle gets turned back after this season and i meant it. approaching my final long workout weekend this weekend, it was all coming together perfectly. what a satisfying road it has been. everything seems more complete now, and i.m. wisconsin is the final dessert. vacations have been planned around this, and of course the budget.

you can see where this is going by the subject line.....

friday am was my final long ride going out for an early morning century breaking my own wind, and having discussions with myself to reflect on my months of preparation and understand just how my body might react on race day by laying out an i.m. race day effort. this was a full dress rehearsal minus the race wheels. nutrition, time of day, distance, bike set-up, etc....

the first third of my ride, i realize i have matured as a rider. i keep my heart rate at a steady state a full 37 beats below bike threshold. the first 40 miles felt like an unreasonably low effort, but i know now that i need to let the distance take it out of me. respect the distance. at mile 50, my average h.r. is substantially lower than race day target, and my average pace is substantially higher. i literally laughed out loud because because it has come together with absolute perfection. i've never felt like this before.... i could do 120, even 130.... but 100 miles was the plan.

i wish, oh how i wish, this was just another ride report.

mile 60, i'm headed around a slightly uphill bend over 20 mph. the young girl that wants to cross my path for a left hand turn is simply looking the other direction as she pulls out. a little nissan sentra never seemed so big. ever. it might have been okay if she never saw me, but she turned to look my direction after she had pulled out, and in a panic, stopped the car in a spot that i could not avoid. i t-bone her back fender and wake up on the ground with her in hysterics over me. gawkers, ambulance, cops, everything. where am i? slowly, i piece together the information as it comes in, and figured out what happened. i tried to get up.... not a chance, and oh by the way, the emt was not thrilled about me trying that.

i look over at my p3 and it's ripped in two. that could have been my legs, arms, or brains. i'm thankful i have my teeth, and my blood. my shoulder on the other hand feels like some punk kid blew off an m-80 in there. it's slowly growing to the size of a cantelope.

the tally..... fractured clavicle, wasted p3, and end of season. i think i still have my nerves, although i'll probably stay away from that intersection next season. it could have been so much worse. i'm so thankful for my wife and kids. and my helmet. the ironman will still be there, but the four year peak may have been a one shot deal.

and tyler hamilton? an absolute freak.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your crash, bike, and season. Very glad to see that you're in good enough shape to write such a lucid report however, and that a f@*&$d up shoulder is the worst of your injuries. You will indeed ride (and race) again.

Take it easy, and make sure her ins pays the full cost of a new race bike, kit, lid, and any rehab costs.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey MAn , glad your OK, ..just wanted to tell you your not alone, and just be happy you are at home with your family, beacuse, yes, it could have been much worse. Be thankful for what you have and you've accomplished, you can achieve your athletic goals in the future, ..it sounds like youi had a nice blueprint, and you will be able to repeat parts of it in the future, and your body will remember.

So I know how you feel.....

Wed, AM, I went out for 3-3.5 hours , felt great, nice morning, no wind, not too hot yet.......on very straight road, with very good visability, and with me going up a slight incline ( even better visability for the driver)I was climbing on my brake hoods.... and suddenly I was hit, at first I didn't know by what..but it turns out it was a Minivan rearview mirror, it clocked my left elbow at about 40-45 M.P.H.. Luckily it was one of those can can fold back and break away. It was a loud thunk..and I was airborn..I remember that part, and even a bit of silence , just listenening to the tires roll by until my bike started to hit the ground, then me. I basically landed directly on my Left knee. As I look at it now it is about twice the size of my right one, with a huge 'V' shaped wound in front, that went down to my patellar tendon, with 5 stiches.

As I laid on the ground , before the driver had come back to me, I started to take an inventory, I could move everything OK , even though my elbow and knee were seriously throbbing. I actually immediately felt lucky, I knew I wouldn't die, that I wasn;t paralyzed, that phyisically I'd heal, and I'd get to see my wife and three month old boy again.

I also started to feel really foolish about being cranky towards my wife because I had to feed my son before I went and rode, and it slowed me down by about 20 minutes.. Man..do I need to rearrange my priorities.

Basically I feel happy to be here, I feel EXTREMELY lucky as the guy obviously never saw me, so he could have easily been travelling another 10 inches to the right, and then I may not have been able type this message. Triathlon goals and training will always be there, , I am getting a bit anxious as this has been 4 days of doing nothing..(except a littel VASA trainer),..but believe me when I head out that door again to go ride I will do so with a different attitude.

Be happy because it could have been much worse
Quote Reply
Been there... [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it, but pleased the outcome is so positive. On Easter Sunday, a good friend got taken down by an errant driver, and received a shattered arm, hip and wrist, and one fractured vertebrae. He may never race again.

As for me, I just did my first race after a clavicle fracturing crash in April. I still can't swim very well, but I'm OK for the rest, and the swim is coming along.

If you ride long enough, you will crash. That's a given. Hopefully it will be several years before it happens again.

Enjoy the time off, rest up and recover well. IM Wisconsin will keep.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm glad you came through it OK. Besides, now you have a reason to pick one of them new P3s with the fancy paintjob! Sorry your IM plans are ruined, but there will always be more races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monkey and Shumacher, sorry to hear about the accidents. I wish you guys a complete recovery. The injured list on this forum is really getting crowded; is there any way we could freeze it for good?
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How often do people wipe out? I'm scared shitless of getting hit by a car. Where do all of you bike? I live in a fairly secluded area and stick to the back roads. I'm starting to get scared and basically even more pissed at ignorant drivers who are more concerned with the cigarette they're lighting, they're cellphone or they're greasy ass food from mcdonalds to pay attention to you while you're running or cycling . . god I hate America and her overweight asshole population.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I current live in Sandy Eggo. Thankfully I've only had one contact incident with a car and it was minor. That was a couple of months ago. I kind of expect about one wreck a year, and that's pretty much what I get. They're usually boneheaded things that could be avoided, but that's what happens when you're tired/excited/not paying enough attention. Unfortunately, they're always painful and expensive. Grrrr. I've found that in most of my close calls with cars, there was something I could have done to be better prepared for the situation. I'm not saying that these close calls were my fault. Far from it. I just think that as riders we need to always assume that no driver can see us, cares to see us, or is paying attention. As soon as I think they don't have their heads in their "overweight asshole" that's when I get a big scare. Then there's the pricks that play games and swerve at cyclists. They're just a fact of life like thieves, rapists, and murders. I just hope I never come across them (again). No f-ing way I'll become a shut-in who's shackled to a trainer.
Quote Reply
Where we ride [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live and ride in the SF Bay Area. I used to ride in the Palo Alto area, which has some great biking roads. Now I'm in Walnut Creek, where we have trails built just for bikes. So I go out and ride on the roads anyway!!

Problem with the trails is that they get crowded and they're too narrow for serious riding. And they have speed limits, 15mph!!

I'm with Pooks; about once a year I hit the deck, usually operator error. I had one minor altercation with a van two years ago, but no serious damage to me or the bike. Most of the problems we have can be avoided by paying closer attention.
1- never ride within a doors length of parked cars. Even if you think you can see that no one is in the car, the driver might be getting something from under the seat, and then just fling the door open. Happened to me three years ago. A near miss, but my bike shorts needed serious laundering...
2- Remember that you're a vehicle, and obey the vehicle code. Don't do illegal stuff just because you think it's safe or expedient, because motorists see you doing it, and it helps them forget that you are entitled to all the protections of any vehicle vis à vis right of way.
3- Always expect drivers to mess with you, and be overjoyed when they don't. It'll save you a lot of aggravation.

And to quote the eloquent lady from SF:
NEVER NOT RIDE!!

Hey, I may be old, but I beat nearly a thousand triathletes on Saturday, and most of them were young enough to be my kids. That makes up for a few bumps, bruises, and so far only one broken bone!!

Quote Reply
Re: Where we ride [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey neighbor!

Good advice by Pooks and Cousin E. I also find that making sure you make eye contact, a big mouth (for shouting to get their attention if you can't make eye contact) and various sign language (head shaking, pointing to the lane when you are moving over away from the freeway exit, etc.) and yes, riding as if everyone walking or driving is an idiot seems to help. I also take my part of a lane, never ride up next to parked cars and stop (at least rolling) at all stop signs and definitely at all red lights. And, in the few areas where I know it will be sketchy (going over the Golden Gate Bridge late--tourists on bikes; coming back through Sausalito--tourists on foot and in cars looking for parking places), then I slow down an pay a lot more attention.

Thankfully here, we don't have the beligerent drivers that other places seem to. Just stupid people, lost tourists and those who think they are very important and try to do 5 things at once when they are driving. That said, there are some places I really prefer to ride more than others. I'll get in the car and drive up to the wine country to ride or out Cousin's way since I think the riding there is a lot better than SF/Marin or even the Pensinsula. I get bad vibes when I ride down there.

And Monkey--get well soon! It was a bad weekend for shoulders. A friend crashed and separated his shoulder on Saturday. No car involved. Bad road and bad luck.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your accident! The good news is that you will be able to ride again. Last fall (immediately after signing up for wisconsin) I had a mountain bike accident and busted my collar bone badly. Since I was already having some problems with that shoulder I figured it would only get worse. Much to my suprise, I haven't had any problems with it this time around. Hopefully yours will be the same.

There must have been something going around this weekend because I had 3 near misses within 15 minutes of one another. Two people passed another vehicle coming at me on country roads. The first one I looked like Lance going through the ditch. Talk about a heart rate spike. The other one was similar but I knew they were going to go and was able to avoid it. The third one was at an intersection and the car was going to roll the stop sign as I came around the corner; shout, squeal and a near miss. Hopefully that is it for the season as they tend to come in threes.

I will be thinking of you during wisconsin (not nearly as fast from the sounds of things) and may see you there in the future. Just another bump in the road of life.
Larry

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Where we ride [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your accidents, Monkey & Schumaker I. Hope you both heal fast! Monkey, I know it's especially frustrating/bad when you have been training for an Ironman & are peaked for it & have put all that time & effort in it, I believe reading about the Big Florida/St. Pete Bike wipe out that one of the girls hit was supposed to do IM Lake Placid in two weeks and another guy whose leg was broken was supposed to do IM Florida. You should come back 100% from a broken Clavicle it will just take a couple months. They say things come in waves and that's what it seems like the last couple months with bike crashes.
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's turned into an arms race out there and cyclists are packing squirt guns. For me the time has come to largely surrender to the cell phoning, bike hating, SUVing culture in this country and stay off the road. I find I can do that by using my computrainer and riding at a local national monument that has a 5 mile loop with bike lane. Even a small injury such as a broken clavicle would be very costly since it would leave me unable to practice my craft for several weeks. Plus my kids have too much growing up to do and being in a wheelchair or worse terrifies me. I'll take my chances on race days but otherwise play it safe.

To the wounded-best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [skeets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious. I had a "close encounter" this weeked that spiked my heartrate. Seems like the last two weekends have been the worst of the summer. I'm shooting for one more long ride this weekend before Wisconsin. After reading your post you can be sure that I'll be riding with sensors on max and ready to invoke defensive measures at a moments notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BananaBoy: You are soooo lucky! Must be Irish... or very fit... or both! Coulda' been so many other body parts affected. The worst part is the P3. :),

Another lucky part of this little vignette is she stopped. She could have just turned left and maybe run over a leg or your head. And, HER insurance will cover it.

Was she ticketed?

I'm sure you look at your family just a little differently these days. Those hugs will be special....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone...Last year I trained 7 months for my first Ironman in Lake Placid. A humbling experience but I finished none the less in just over 13 and a half hours; not my target race time...This year would be different. I trained for almost 10 months with about 6 of those being coached by a professional triathlete goddess whom everyone in the sport knows well. Ironman #2 rolls around at Lake Placid and there I am again lining up for the start.

As I'm sure you know, the weather on race day left much to be desired this year. With winds that had to have been upwards of 30 to 40 knots and rain that was unrelenting, the conditions seemed more appropriate for a day in March rather than July. But this isn't even the point. There I am cruising on the bike with a first loop split just around 3 hrs; off my target by about 30 minutes but with the conditions I rationalized that I would be fine. Mile 90 comes along and there is this guy on the side of the road stand astride of his Kestrel. One second I'm cranking at about 21 mph with my head down in the aero position and next I'm looking up to see this guy standing in the road. With no time to react and move, my bars hit his and I go flying, bike and all. I must have landed about 10 feet away. Luckily I was fine albeit a bit scraped up. And thanks to the very kind generosity of about 3 other riders who stopped to help me up I was back on my bike.

Experiencing major muscle spasms the rest of the ride back to T2, my transition was more of a gut check than anything else. When I began to throw up in the tent I was pulled to the medical cots and my day was over. Two liters of saline solution later I felt better though very sore.

A few days later I had to simply go with it. It's part of the deal. You take that chance every time you enter a race. Unfortunately you never know what will happen, but every experience leaves you that much further along for the next time you hear that race announcer say at 6:00 a.m. "Good morning, and what a beautiful day we have today for these iron men and women"...
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't know if she received a ticket. i suppose she did. the police report was just processed today and will be mailed to me.

i ride in suburbs & rural country particularly to avoid this problem. i think this just gets chalked up to bad luck. bad luck to cross paths with a very inexperienced driver, and that can't be avoided in any city.

this stuff is really starting to sink in. i went from burning 3,500 calories daily (on the bid side), to probably 1,500 each of the last couple days. even a half mile walk with the family hurt. i have a fridge full of beers from a bbq a couple weeks ago. they started to look yummy at about 5:30pm today, and that usually happens on fridays at 8pm. a little nugget at the end of the week.... but not this one. i keep telling myself it's only going to be a couple few months. great..... just in time for winter!

actually.... i think i'm keeping the chin up just fine. all i have to do is consider how bad the luck could have gotten. definitely surprised at all the others that have been through something similar.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Where we ride [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Peninsula isn't bad, especially the south end. Ride Skyline to Cañada to Woodside and out to the Portola Loop, then on to Junipero Serra/Foothlill Xway which can put you on Page Mill for a monstor climb or stay on the Xway right out to Stevens Creek and all the way to Los Gatos. You can get in a nice 100+ miler on some great roads that are pretty safe.

Great rides over here too, but Diablo is misnamed. Page Mill is the Devil.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a take on where the most dangerous place is to ride? I ride up in Rhode Island and between the constant barrage of potholes, the drivers who are pissed that they have to move two feet to the left to get around me, and the ones who don't pay attention to other cars much less cyclists, I feel extremely lucky not to have gotten a close up look at that Turtle Wax finish (knock on wood). I have been right behind guys who hit the opening car door, or the fender of the car turning right into them, or the pavement as they laid there bikes down trying to miss the fender of the car turning in front of them, and I had to unclip and kick a car that repeatedly sped in front of me (into a clearly marked bike lane, by the way) and then slowed to force me either off the road or into the traffic lane, yelling and wildly giving me the finger and other hand gestures that, I can only guess, were foreign versions of the finger.

Let me say also, that the cyclists up here aren't that good either. The guys and gals on road bikes, with helmets and jerseys seem to be ok, but there's a big population of casual cyclists and tourists on rentals that don't seem to know where on the road to ride, or which direction, or whether or not to stop at stop signs and lights. I've been fortunate enough not to hit anyone, mostly because I do ride and I'm probably more aware of bikes. In every close encounter, the cyclist has done something that wouldn't even occur to me. A week ago, I was stopped at a light and headed straight through. A guy on a mountain bike pulled up next to me by my right front fender. I assumed he was headed straight through as well, or maybe turning right. As it happened, as soon as the light turned, he hauled up in front of me and turned left about six inches in front of my bumper. I only missed him because there was an incline and I drive a stick which gave me just a little rollback before the clutch caught. Anyway, I don't remember it being as dangerous out in San Diego or in NC where I ride when I'm back at home visiting my folks. Anyone know the most dangerous place to ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its like deja vu:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...20know%20when;#30081

As you can see, I feel your pain, brother. Recommendations:

1. No matter how you feel about lawyers, you need one to navigate the insurance minefield. Don't sell yourself short either. I don't know how you feel about litigation, but its not always a bad thing. I don't like laywers myself, but the farther I go into this thing, the more I realize I lost more than a $5500 bike and a few medical bills. The loss of my fitness and ability to do an IM this year are just the start. Three weeks after the fact I had a pain show up in my shoulder/neck area that the doctor attributes to the accident. Apparently its quite common to have medical issues take time to surface, especially in the face of other, more substantial injuries like your clavicle and my hand. There is also loss of work time. In my case, I still can't play guitar at all, and I occasionally play for a band, so that's not there anymore. A good lawyer (NOT an ambulance chaser) can help you sort through the morass and achieve a reasonable settlement. And don't be in a rush to get things sorted out. Of course I have the luxury of having a road bike to get back on while I wait to sort out the insurance settlements so I can replace my tri-bike.

2. If physical therapy is involved in your rehab, don't skip it. You only get one body. Last time I checked, Gerard has no plans for a Cervelo Clavicle to replace your broken one (although he might be forgiven for considering capitalizing on you and Tyler's situations ;> ) Too often I see folks settle for less than what they should have in terms of physical recovery just because physical therapy is a "luxury" and and afterthought to them. To me, its about regaining as much of my former capability as possible. My therapist's best estimate is 90% of former function (which doesn't bode well for guitar playing). I'm determined to at least get there, but will never be 100%. The bones set with a slight twist, reducing my capable range of motion.

3. Give your body time to heal and don't rush back to training. I have only started running and biking again in the last couple of weeks. I tried earlier, but my ankle and shoulder injuries wouldn't allow even running and one handed cycling sucks, even on a trainer. You aren't going to get back your time this year. Its done. I thought I'd gotten past that, but the closer the race gets, the more I'm pissed. I'm trying to focus on next year now. This year is about healing now.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more hint for next year - watch the front wheels of cars. Drivers can look you right in the eye and still not see you, but the wheels never lie. The ones that are going to go almost always start a very slow creep forward a second prior and even if they barely move you can see the hubcap rotate just that little bit to warn you. It has saved me many times.

Also don't go outside on Friday. It's the worst time by far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my 30+ years, I have been hit three times. Two of the three into the ER. The last time was three years ago someone making an illegal u-turn without looking and I missed two events through recovery. Also, I still have flash backs and nightmares on occasion from it.

You are right to be grateful. Be sure to get back on the bike as soon as possible. And when it comes time to settle with the insurance company, remember that these four years of prep and the IM this year means a lot to you.

just my 0.02
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked Florida was still the most dangerous place to ride. The last stats I saw Florida killed twice as many bikers as any other state. But, no public highway is safe in my estimation. Buy a Computrainer.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who has tens of thousands of miles in his legs, I have seen my share of auto-paint and asphalt as well. It's tough to pick the right time of day to ride (which is probably more important than where). I find the morning is the best time (by morning I'm talking 5am during the week, 6am on the weekends). You usually have about an hour to an hour and a half of light traffic. After that, the roads get a little filled up. I've found that riding in the middle of the day is pretty hazerdous, because everybody is going somewhere in a hurry, and at night, everyone is tired and pissed off from their work day, so you are definitely not in a safe zone there.

My worst hit was at noon on a cloudless day while I was wearing about 5 different colors, on a bright orange bike. A school-bus driver (thankfully she was driving her car at the time) t-boned me and I went flying over the hood of a jeep with a lift kit. Landed on my head (thank god for helmets). It took me a few years for me to be able to run again (this is my first year in almost 4). I used bike racing to rehabilitate.

Anyway - if anyone reads these posts, one thing you should take from it is WEAR A HELMET! It's the most important piece of equipment you can buy. You learned the alphabet once already, do you really feel like learning it all over again?

-Rob

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Car Never Seemed So Big Until It Hit Me [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used your tip last night about watching the front wheels of cars. Worked for me! There was an occupied car parked on the right side of the road and just as I was about to pass I saw the front wheels begin to shift left. I made myself very visibile and the driver saw me before pulling out. Thanks for the advice, I'll use that tip from now on.
Quote Reply