Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman recivery question
Quote | Reply
OK, I know this is very subjective but I'd still like to hear some opinions. I know I'll find out alot also as my traing progresses and I do an half ironman.
I just started doing tri's this year. I've done five sprints and one international distance. Next year I want to do more Olympic lengths and one half ironman. The following year I hope to do my first full ironman. I'd like to make it a family vacation and do my first at the Germany Ironman. Now, my question.
How long after a ironman do you need to recover to just walk around and site see? I'm not worrying about getting back to training so soon but I'd like to know how it may effect the vacation. We do have friends living in Germany where I could go and just lay around for a day. I just don't want to have to lay around for several days.
For reference I'm male, 35 and I seem to recover from hard efforts fairly well. The day after my sprints and international distance I was a little sore but I can still go out and ride or run.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman recivery question [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tough to answer.

many are fine just walking around, but the problems arrive when you have to go up stairs (midl discomfort) to going down stairs (need to walk backwards for some)...

at IM Korea 2001, I saw 3 japanese dudes, the very next morning, with their racing flats, going for a run!!! one of them had finished as he was just behind my wife...

so it is highly individual
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your recovery from an Ironman has a lot to do with two factors, your training leading up to the event, and your overall effort compared to that training. The more prepared you are for the event, the faster your recovery. If your body is used to going for 100+ mile rides on a regular basis, the ride will have less of an impact on you. Not that you have to do 100+ mile rides in order to finish an Ironman, but if the actual event distances are something that your body is prepared for and has experienced in training on a regular basis, the better your recovery will be. The kind of recovery you are looking for, to be able to walk around and sightsee in comfort, if you are well prepared for your race, there should be no problem getting around within a day or two.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman recivery question [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the statement that it is largley a fuction of your overall fitness. Assuming you don't take the "Y" at the finish line and end up in the medical tent needing serious attention. You'll be fine. In fact you'll be great. I always am on a real high after these things, giddy with endorphins and impossible to shut up. Walking around the sights of Europe will be the perfect recovery, as you'll get some light activity, and be on a finshers high. The beer will taste extra good too! Go for it and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman recivery question [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - recovery stories!!!!!

My worst thing in recovery? Getting off the potty the next morning! I could walk, take stairs (slowly) and even ride my bike...just could not get off that damn toilet (that required a Ninja style roll to the floor and pulling myself to my feet with the sink as a handle).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman recivery question [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have a webcam in your bathroom?

;-)

never thought about the potty thing...you should be happy you don't live in Turkey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If guys are going for runs the day after an IM then they didn't go hard enough on race day. My legs are always shot for about 3-4 days following an IM or even 1/2 IM. Day two is when it is the worst. By day 5 I'm ready to train again (but not run). I think you are going to need about three days before it will be fun to do a lot of sightseeing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman recivery question [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I remember well, I recall a paper of ex. physio about the difference of asian and euro runners.
seems like there is far less fiber destruction in asians and they may have an edge and be able to recover much faster.
At IM Korea, Tamura run a 2h48' on a tough course, and was walking just fine the next day.
Kenyan runners too...many do run the day after a marathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first Ironman two weeks ago. I think I was quite preperd for the race, which my time was a proof of, atleast I was satisfied with my performance(10:22).

For me I was in bed the for the first two days. The first day I got out walking, since my coach had recommended that, but it was all misery, my girlfriend got tired of waiting on me so we took a cab home. The third day I was extremely sore in my legs but had no problems doing a one hour swim. That's my experience of recovering an Ironman.

Ps, six days after the race I went out for a four days Kayak-adventure, that I cannot recommend :) Ds

Dave

Quote | Reply

I found I was able to walk around the next day without too many problems - just not at my normal pace. This suited my friends just fine as it meant it was more like a holiday anyway and not racing around everywhere.

I would avoid climbing things that you would need to come back down though.

So, have a good race, a sleepin the next day and then sightsee. You should get a good idea how quickly you recover from the 1/2IM also.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply