Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimskins/Speedsuits
Quote | Reply
Do any of you girls own them How is the fit mens v womens? I can a get a really good deal on a mens, but wondering about fit. Nowhere around here to try any on.

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskins/Speedsuits [lesage918] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Blue Seventy point3 and a Tyr Torque pro-both med. both as tight as possible, both women's models. I haven't tried the mens but if it's like wetsuits its not gonna fit right.
I'm going to sell the BS point 3 if you want a med. for $100. PM me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn both and they both feel the same. The speed suit has a lot less structure and a lot more stretch/give in it than the wetsuit has.

I can't remember what company it was, but one of their sales reps said they don't really change anything, just the sizes and that they only made women's because other companies did and it was all for marketing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a difference in the cut of the Men's and Women's Energize speedsuits.

The sizing is different. We size our suits by swim suit sizing rather than S, M, L, etc... This helps to find a more snug of a fit. That goes for both Men's and Women's suits.

A speedsuit should fit as tight as you can absolutely stand without restricting your movement or breathing. The benefit of these suits is the compressive nature of the materials, as well as the hydrophobic nature of the textile coated fibers. If you notice, competitive swimmers wear their suits a few sizes smaller to get the best benefit from the suit. This isn't necessarily ideal for everybody, but a very tight fit is important to provide you with the smoothest outer skin possible.

Where are you located?

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Xterra speedsuit. Although I haven't worn it in about a year & a half. Not sure I ever tried on men vs. women. If it's small & tight enough you shouldn't notice too much of a difference. As others have mentioned, it might depend on the brand too.

If it were a structured wetsuit, I would definitely caution otherwise, but even if you wind up with it & it doesn't work well for you - resell it?

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskins/Speedsuits [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing IMCZ in Nov and wondering if I should get a swimskin. I have no experience with them as the races I have done are full wetsuit (very cold water). Any info would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskins/Speedsuits [docholiday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I bought a Blue Seventy PZ3TX this spring. I was doing IMTX and thought I'll take any advantage to get me through a non-wetsuit swim.

Mind you, I was HIGHLY skeptical that these little piece's of fabric could actually be beneficial, provide speed, flotation, etc and I was more or less buying into some expensive marketing BS (yes, I am that sucker). Anyhow, I get the thing and decide to give it a pre-race test at masters in the pool the week before IMTX.

First thing I noticed, when showering pre-swim, was that it did not seem to absorb the water. In fact, the water was sheeting off. Weird but cool. When swimming the workout, I was more or less killing my lane mates. Much to my shock and surprise, I was swimming about 5-6 seconds faster per hundred without really trying! Holy schnikes, I could not believe the difference it made.

So in my experience, they DO work, but it's not flotation, it more of less making you more slippery through the water.

PS. Like you, I am mostly a full-wetsuit swimmer, living in Idaho, where we swim in snowmelt reservoirs and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimskins/Speedsuits [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Hi, I bought a Blue Seventy PZ3TX this spring. I was doing IMTX and thought I'll take any advantage to get me through a non-wetsuit swim.

Mind you, I was HIGHLY skeptical that these little piece's of fabric could actually be beneficial, provide speed, flotation, etc and I was more or less buying into some expensive marketing BS (yes, I am that sucker). Anyhow, I get the thing and decide to give it a pre-race test at masters in the pool the week before IMTX.

First thing I noticed, when showering pre-swim, was that it did not seem to absorb the water. In fact, the water was sheeting off. Weird but cool. When swimming the workout, I was more or less killing my lane mates. Much to my shock and surprise, I was swimming about 5-6 seconds faster per hundred without really trying! Holy schnikes, I could not believe the difference it made.

So in my experience, they DO work, but it's not flotation, it more of less making you more slippery through the water.

PS. Like you, I am mostly a full-wetsuit swimmer, living in Idaho, where we swim in snowmelt reservoirs and such.

Thank you so much for your reply. It is nice to hear if they do work. I have just ordered the blue seventy after reading alot of reviews on the different types. My wetsuit is blue seventy and I love it for comfort so thought might as well stick to the name I no. Thx again :)
Quote Reply