Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat Tube Creaking
Quote | Reply
I've tightened the clamp, greased and cleaned the seat tube, cleaned the bottom tube, cleaned the screw on the clamp, tightened all the bolts in the seat, the xlab flat wing, etc etc. but I still get an annoying squeak that appears about midway through most of my rides. If I'm standing and climbing the bike doesn't creak, but if I sit with my arms on the aerobars or my hands on the drops it reappears, so I'm sure it's not a headset problem. Any suggestions? BTY: does the clamp have a tendency to creak more if it's screwed too tightly?
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Tube Creaking [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this happen to me once....The seat had broken where the rails attached to it in the back!...Check that out!

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the same problem. It only appeared after I adjusted the setup to a very forward position on the bike, but that isn't proof in itself that it is positioning but intrigueing none the less. I'll be interested in any home remedies that have prooved successful.

Quote | Reply
I agree with GatorDawg - check your seat rails. Even if they aren't cracked, they may be pulling out of your seat which could also cause a creak.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very annoying creaking/slipping seatpost that I finally found and fixed. My problem was the seatpost itself! It had developed a flat spot where it was actually collapsing in. The shim insert was a bit out of shape too. I had to buy a new shim insert and seatpost and the problem was fixed. If you have a carbon seatpost I would recommend taking it out and carefully examining it for flat spots and/or cracks. Overtightening a carbon seatpost is a "big no no" as I unfortunately had to find out the expensive way!

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Tube Creaking [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I agree with GatorDawg - check your seat rails. Even if they aren't cracked, they may be pulling out of your seat which could also cause a creak."

This is what happened to mine!

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Last edited by: GatorDawg: Aug 17, 03 17:02
Quote Reply