Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

25 or 23 cassette for im wisc
Quote | Reply
if anyone can tell me what gearing i should use for im wisc. also any bike shops to recommend in madison. thanks skirbs
Quote Reply
Re: 25 or 23 cassette for im wisc [skirbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Madison and ride the roads of the course all the time. I will be on a 12-23 cassette, 53/39 cranks and 700c wheels for race day. I'm a big spinner too. As for the physiology of things, I should hit a 20+mph avg speed on the bike. A 12-25 cassette would give you a little extra relief on some of the climbs, but just not as tight on the gear ratios. Hard to tell you what to do without knowing your riding style.

As for bike shops, I think most of the shops in town will take good care of you. If you are staying downtown, your options are Budget Bikes, Machinery Row, Williamson Bikes within easy walking/riding distance. Several are profiled here on Slowtwitch. CronoMetro will be at the expo (I believe) and they have excellent mechanics.

Kyle Handley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I rode a 53/39-12/25 last year just in case and used it on a few climbs. I always rather have the choice of a 25 instead of getting stuck with heavy legs and a 23 to push. I rode at just under 20mph avg and was in the top 275 of total times so I would stick with that again if need be. Hope that helps, its a great course and the fans are wonderful.

Good luck. BB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM WI last year with 53/39 and 12-25. I test rode the course with the 53/39 and a 12-23. I can't imagine anyone besides super-strong bikers (averaging 22.5 or better) benefiting from the 12-23. There are so many rolling hills that the slight difference that the slightly tighter 12-23 is not worth it. One observation- I was able to easily ride the course with the 12-23, but I used the lowest gear for a few climbs and wished I had lower. You will see the real impact of the bike course in the run. It is too easy to trash your legs on this bike course. If I were racing again I would probably use a 12-27 for 700c or 12-25 on a 650c wheel bike.
Last edited by: Sweet: Aug 15, 03 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are asking the question, you should probably keep the 25 for bailout.

I've used a 12/25 (53/39), 700c Campy 10-speed bike at every Ironman I've done. It's simply easier to know it's there. I'm 5'10" and 148 lbs on race day.

My split at IMW 2002 was 5:42. My split at IMCdA was 5:27.

I'd go with the 12/25.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Re: 25 or 23 cassette for im wisc [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would agree with sweet 100%. and, i will add this - last year it was not windy. i have ridden that course in winds from all directions, some pretty strong. there are many little rises that are almost an afterthought in no wind ( like last year) that get a damn sight steeper and longer in the wind. and, the while i like a nice close cluster as much as the next guy - it is questioanble how much you use it when you are basically slamming from your 39x25 to your 53x12 in one fell swoop at the tops of hills ! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then you have the non-climber like me who has the decided on 12-27. Spin baby spin. I want to be able to run on the run. Then again, I'm slower than the other posters. Looking to finish the bike in around 7.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply