Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pool clock idea
Quote | Reply
Currently I use a Timex Ironman wristwatch to time my pool intervals. The watch has got a countdown timer that beeps after the interval, then restarts the countdown, perfect for doing repeated intervals.

However, some of my intervals get pretty long and I have trouble holding a specific pace. I'd like a pace clock that I can see while swimming, which probably means an underwater clock. Does anything like this exist? Cursory searches have not turned up anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Specifically I've got workouts like a 1000 yd time trial. I swim in a short course pool and it is easy to swim a 950 or 1050. When you are going all out it is sometimes hard to keep count. Today's workout is 1 main set of 2500 done at 1/2IM pace. Currently, I set my wristwatch to beep every 7:30 and I try and match every 500 yds to that timer. My only idea at this point is a digital stopwatch that I can set underwater near the wall, with numbers big enough to see from 5 yds out.
Quote Reply
Re: pool clock idea [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the pool where you swim not have a clock???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just glance at my watch as I glide into the wall before turning every 100 or 200m. The pool I swim at has a pace clock on the wall but I find the location is not great and I can see my own watch more easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-

I do similar to you, but set my watch to beep at what should be every 100 yards. The shorter distance and time gives you more of a chance to keep steady with your pace. For example, I may find I'm a second or two off after a 100 and easily make the necessary adjustments rather than finding I'm 10 seconds off after a 500, in which case you've been off pace for a long time without knowing it and would have a much harder time making up those seconds once you realize you're off.
Quote Reply
Re: pool clock idea [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so not only am I a computer geek, but an anal/compulsive/perfectionist geek.

My goal is to be able to swim my 40' set or 1000yds without stopping, wiping my goggles clear and straining to read the pace clock and then trying to remember that I started my set at 2:17:00. Having a stopwatch underwater with large numbers would let me glance at it every 100 to stay on pace.

Really having the Timex Ironman wristwatch large enough to read underwater through bubbles and goggles while pausing in the middle of a swim stroke would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always just used the pace clock. I adjusted my breathing so I could get a glimpse of the time before I made my turn. I knew pretty much how fast my 100's were and some quick math got me my time.

I like your idea, Tom, but it may not be possible....

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: pool clock idea [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do what you do Craig. I usually swim in Lane 2 and move our clock to the side so when I take my final breath before the turn, which happens to be always in the direction of the clock, I get a nice glance at it and I can add about a second or two to know what my paces are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I'm all that AND an Engineer to boot....A quadrouple threat...

I have an idea, and I think it can be made pretty easily from available COTS components...It would provide big, underwater readable clock and a provision to count and display laps......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...yep, it's clock that fits on the outside of your goggles. I used one for many years... would still be using it but left it in my car once when the temps got to about 105 degrees... messed it up.

You can find it in a Keifer catalog... it's called a time window.

http://www.kiefer.com/...44FE89261178E76711C2

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: pool clock idea [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriPA, you with the government?

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Re: pool clock idea [GatorDawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not really....Had to wonder why you asked that question...But then re-read my post and realized I had used the COTS reference instead of saying "stuff you can already buy, almost at Radio Shack"...(-:
Quote Reply
How does it stick? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website says: "Should be applied directly to the goggle lens, which must be completely dry" - does it stick on with a see-though suction cup? Some sort of adhesive? Is it permanently attached to the goggles?

Thanks...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: How does it stick? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It adheres by suction only. In all the years that I used it, it never came off that I can remember. In fact, sometimes it was difficult to get off. At any rate, if it did come off, it's attached to a fine plastic line (which is the most annoying part, since the leash is more difficult to remove - but not problematic) so it won't fall to the bottom of the pool.

And yes, there is a window that magnifies the the size of the numbers when you look at a certain angle. Therefore, you need to place it in the corner of the goggle lens... not directly in front where it would hinder normal vision. It's back lit, so you can't swim in the dark (like that would be an option).

Oh yea, it's really ingenious/simple how you start and stop the clock. To start or stop, you simply press on the back of the device (you have to press a little hard - so, it's not easily turned off by accident). Don't worry, you won't press so hard that it will come off in the process.

Hoped I answered your questions.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: How does it stick? [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a cool little device. Definitely something to keep in mind...

Thanks! :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply