Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon on MTV
Quote | Reply
Anybody see the episode of "Made" on MTV that aired last night? They had this high school student on there, overweight and unathletic, and whipped him into shape for a sprint tri. The kid auditioned for the show, and said this is what he wanted. He was picked, and the show set him up with a coach who put him on a diet and training program, they got him on a bike, put him in a wetsuit, the whole bit. They trained him for either 10 or 11 weeks, and the kid went from a whining, unathletic, overweight student to a triathlete in under three months. I didn't get to watch the whole show, but my wife did, and she said he finished the race in under 90 minutes. She said he was walking a bit until he saw the finish line. Then he heard the cheers and started running hard to the finish. My wife is doing the swim leg of a sprint this weekend, and she said the show made her want to pack up her bike and do the whole tri this weekend! It was a pretty neat show, just wondering if anyone else saw it. I'm sure they'll re-air it. I'd like to see the whole thing. Also, for those who saw it, did anyone recognize the coach? I believe he had an IM USA t-shirt on at one point. I didn't see his name; just wondering if anyone recognized him. The kid was from the East Coast, so I'm guessing the coach would be from that area.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen the show yet, but the coach is a member of my local tri club, the sandy hookers, here in new jersey. His name is Kirk DeJesus, and is really just getting into coaching and personal training after leaving the corporate life. MTV interviewed about 15 local triathletes and coaches to find a coach for this kid, and Kirk got the job. No pay, long hours, and a sometimes uncooperative mtv staff.

Kirk has done IM California, and was in Utah last year, among others.

"A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirk deserves a medal for putting up with that kid!!! I think he had a real impact on the kid's life and he should be commended for that. Kirk is the kind of person that every kid growing up without a father needs in his life.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That kid on MTV had a dad...just a typical American dad...as lazy as he wants ta be...

"Here son, lets watch some TV and eat some Ho-Ho's, Cheese Curds and Krispy Kremes...."

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to my TV guide, this will be re-broadcast 8/16/03 at 7AM central time
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Buzzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that whole show over the weekend. There were a few times that kid just needed to be slapped. The coach, Kirk (occasionally sporting IM California and IM USA LP finisher gear), put up with a lot of crap from that kid, who didn't seem to appreciate the coaching that was being provided. I wish there was some way to find out if the kid went back to the double whopper, supersize fries, large milkshake and apple pie lifestyle, or if he'll stay with it. Based on how much whining the kid did, and without someone kicking his a$$, I'll bet he's given it up and put back the 20 lbs. he lost.

Jeff
Last edited by: 14T.6: Aug 15, 03 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [halfacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halfacre..Could you please tell Kirk Thank you. Though i have not seen the show it would seem 1) He represented Triathletes awesomley..2) Put up with crap and 3) He might of changed someones life with no "thank you's" from anyone.... The only Thanks he may get is from you telling Him others noticed......But hey..Triathalon is supposed to be about character. Good for Him.. Kenney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the feeling that they edited him so he seemed whinier than he actually was. Yeah, there was an attitude problem in the beginning, but it seemed like the light bulb went on for him after the 5K and he figured out he really wanted to do the tri, and do the best he could. And then they didn't show much between the 5K and the tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw the show and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the kid. Yes, he's a whining, little brat but he also stuck with the program and ultimately met his goal of finishing a sprint tri (1:25). He couldn't run a lousy mile in the beginning of the show and by the end he ran an 8:12. Not many people have that kind of tenacity.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the kid could have given it a lot more effort. He didn't dedicate himself to it. He continued to want to eat horrible food and slack off with his workouts. I was his weight about two years ago. One year ago I had lost 60 pounds and taken up weight lifting and running. That year I ran around 5:40 in the mile and 11:50 in the two mile. This year I ran 4:50 in the mile, 10:20 in the 2 mile and 22:03 in a 4 mile road race. I'm trying my first sprint distance triathlon tomorrow and plan to finish a hell of a lot faster than that.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on you mate. I'm a lean 160 and I can't pump out a 4:50 mile. But give the kid a break. He went from 0 to 60 pretty quickly. You can't expect that he'll change everything overnight. Hopefully this will be a catalyst. First exercise, then diet then less whining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... yep "Made", it will be on numerous times (MTV seems to like repeats)... I'd like to give the kid a break... but....gees, sometimes when I saw him I just wanted to slap'em. Hmmm.... I guess that's what they call patients and focus on the part of the coach - a common talent among endurance athletes.

I just hope that he got something out his experience. Maybe (just maybe) it will strike him many years down the road... but somehow, I doubt it (and, that's my optimistic viewpoint).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he could have made those changes quicker. One day two years ago I realized that I hated the way I looked and felt. Three months later, after cutting out all junk food and starting some basic exercising, I was a good 35 pounds lighter. Within 8 months I had taken up running and weight lifting and lost a little more weight. My running has gotten better ever since and after taking up cycling, that has contined to improve. I did my first duathlon this morning(would have done the tri but I realized that my swimming skills + a cold river with strong current = death) and won my age class and came in 20th overall. I plan on winning this race next year.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't make it through the whole show. At a point I got disgusted of hearing the kid whining, decided turning off the tube was a better idea than listening to a nasaly whiner do things that the rest of us do without complaining about.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I couldn't make it through the whole show. At a point I got disgusted of hearing the kid whining, decided turning off the tube was a better idea than listening to a nasaly whiner do things that the rest of us do without complaining about.

With out complaining? Hell, I suffer because it makes me stronger. The challange is the only reason I train. That kid needed to be bitch slapped. To me the worse think is that I am sure he is at a buffet somewhere claiming to be a Tri-geek. "Anyone can do it"...ALSO, I bet he may be the first person who had the spot light on MTV that the camera will NOT help to get laid.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon on MTV [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the new years eve 1999(millenium) I weight in at 260 lbs, three weeks ago I finished an Ironman on 10:22, my weight? 180, I'm a bit thinner... :) The only downside I cannot benchpress 260 lbs anymore, but I can live with that.