Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR MONITOR HELP
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their Polar HR monitor. I have a basic S120. I've used it for a two months now and have a recurring problem. Every now and then on a training run the HR readings go "wacky." They jump from 140 to 228 back to 165 and then 142. This normally happens when I'm picking up the pace trying to move from Z2 to Z3. Let me discount some of the usual suspects. There are no power lines where I run, few other runners and none with HR monitors. There are no electrical fields. I'm in the middle of Afghanistan and unless this country has some unique magnetic field, then I don't think it is the environment that is causing the problem. I use Aquasonic Ultrasound Transmission Gel on the HR strap electrodes. I contacted Polar and told them my problem. They told me to reset the HR monitor, which I did. The problem went away for 3 weeks but reappeared yesterday. This is the 3rd time it has happened. Each time I reset the HR monitor it works ok. The problem is I never no when it is going to act up.

Is it because I have a lower end model? I don't care for the whistles and bells, but I do want accurate HR readings all the time.

What do the pros use?

This is my second Polar. I recall having this problem with another Polar 5 yrs ago and switched to Sigma. I decided to upgrade my Sigma a few months ago and couldn't find a good HR monitor other than Polar.

Thanks,
Marine in Afghanistan
Quote Reply
Re: HR MONITOR HELP [AV8BMARINE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same HRM. Mine goes wacky if the electrodes on the transmitter dry out. Sometimes when I adjust the transmitter on my chest I will get some erratic readings too.

No other problems

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the s510, and as the other poster mentioned, this usually happens when the contacts dry out or lose contact. I find that on dry cool days, even if I wet them, that after a few minutes, prior to perspiring heavily, they will dry out, and give erratic readings. Similarly, as the transmitter shifts around, it will sometimes give erratic readings until adjusted.

I would say that better than 90% of the time, it works great. But occasionally, it gives strange readings, and they are always corrected by adjusting the transmitter or making sure the contacts are wet.

There is a product called Buh-Bump(or something like that) that is used specifically for use with HRM electrodes, but I have never used it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have the 210, same response as the others. This happens to me if the strap electrodes get dry or the strap slips a little down on my chest. I notice it at the beginning of runs but not right when I start, rewetting with a little spit helps.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance that this is happening when you get too close to either the tower or another a/c radiating? That happened to mine when I got too close to the tower at the Ft Meade afld.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I can be of any help, but I have this same problem. It happens when I am just starting a hard interval and the reading comes out as the lowest or highest possible reading. Also, this happens to me when I have a pretty good sweat going and it certainly isn't from any dryness. By the way, no need to try cursing and yelling at it or pulling on the strap really hard. I've tried that already and it doesn't work. But I have a question, how do you reset it? I haven't tried that before.
Quote Reply