Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how long can a pre-glued tubular keep?
Quote | Reply
i have a few used tubulars hanging around that still have glue residue on them. i was planning on taking one along for my first 1/2 im next week but was having doubts about whether or not it would actually stick to the rim if i did end up needing it. i put new tires on this past winter and they have been hanging in my basement (which is pretty dry) since then. if not, what can i do to prep one of these tires for emergency use (i.e. apply a thin layer of new glue and allow it to dry)?

as a follow up question, should i even bother taking a spare for the 1/2 im? thanks in advance for any advice.

- The Who
Last edited by: sydnrusty: Aug 13, 03 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: how long can a pre-glued tubular keep? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take the spare. An 1/2 IM is long enough that your race isn't over if you flat and you would be very annoyed if you needed it and didn't have the spare on hand.

I don't carry a spare at sprints but anything longer I do.

dt.
Quote Reply
Re: how long can a pre-glued tubular keep? [sydnrusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you REALLY want to know the SCAREY truth....

Here it is....

Tubulars are held on to the rim, MUCH MUCH MUCH more by air pressure, then by the silly glue...

When you get a flat, Thank the glue for keeping the tire on, When you are going into a really FAST corner and leaning the bike over REALLY hard... Thank the glue... But if you not cornering HARD and not getting a flat... You really dont need one drop of glue... THAT IS ! ! ! provided you are running relatively high pressures... 90 + psi ... The higher the better... And as far as i know, Most tri's and IM's are "relatively" flat... and "relatively" straight... Not too many hair pins and high speed down hills with sharp turns... But if you want, just spear some new glue on the tire before you go to the race...

good luck
Quote Reply