Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Routine hub bearing replacement?
Quote | Reply
Following on another thread regarding hub bearing replacement when contaminated by grit and water, I was wondering if hub bearings should be routinely replaced? I've got about 4K miles on my Rolf Vector Pro's and I'm taking my bike in tomorrow for it's pre-race tune-up. The wheels feel like they spin fairly freely, but they've seen their fare share of foul weather (not the least of which was at Wildlfower this year). If the water that I found in my BB and headset after WF is any indication, the wheel bearings have seen some water. Should I go ahead and have them replaced, or are they OK as long as they're not making any noise and they don't feel tight?
Quote Reply
Re: Routine hub bearing replacement? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it can't hurt any. Here's how. There was a thread a while back on the best bearings available, and these were recommended: Phil Wood or QBP "BB7300" - R6 std. Never tried 'em myself, but that's what the heavy dudes weighed in on as being the best.

Bearings are pretty cheap as a general rule, so I'd go ahead and do it as a preventative measure.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Routine hub bearing replacement? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Khai. I actually read the article that you provided the link to, and it looks like a fairly straightforward process, though with my first IM coming up in 10 days I'll probably have the LBS do it this time and experiment myself during the off season. Is the rear hub just as simple to service? Also, anyone know where I can find service instructions for Rolf Vector Pro's or know if they are similar to the new Rolf Prima wheels (service isntructions for those are on their website)? Thanks again.

-John
Quote Reply
Re: Routine hub bearing replacement? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only a few more dollars to replace bearings, I would do it. I can't comment on bearings since Khai already said what's the best replacement. Phil Wood does fill 100% of the space in their bearings with their grease (which is very good stuff).

Get new cables while you're at it.
Quote Reply