Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vineman vs. Californiaman
Quote | Reply
Ive noticed a handful of forum writers state they will be doing the Californiaman next year. Whats the appeal to this new race when the full Vineman is already established and proven to work? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman vs. Californiaman [tri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, a couple of things.

The "newness" factor. I've been riding the Vineman roads for 13 or 14 years and have done Half Vineman 5 years in a row. My bike can ride itself on that course. I've never raced (or really ridden) up where CaliMan will be held.

Also, time of year. Last year and this year I've gone (or will go) to Ultramax, which is in September. Couldn't do VM and UM both. (And why UM since I live in NorCal and UM is in MO? Because my mom and dad pick me up in KC and then get to see me race, almost local.) CaliMan is early enough to get me out in the winter and just long enough after IM NZ to hold that base. Or, that's what I'm telling myself.

What I would really like to see is the Vineman International come back. I got a nice bottle of wine for third place in that race.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman vs. Californiaman [tri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they've done a good job of marketing. Those 2-page full color ads in the tri mags are impressive. They mention a $75,000 prize purse which means some pros will be there. That gives the race a higher level profile. Also, I think some people have done other J & A races(San Jose, South Bay, Folsom Int.) and thought they put on a good race.

I think people are going to be in for a rude awakening when they feel that water. I will be shocked if the water makes it to 60. 2.4 miles is a long way to go in sub-60 degree water. All the triathletes I know in the area swim in that lake but not in May.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman vs. Californiaman [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaylew, I am going to have to disagree with you on the marketing, if not as to quantity, at least as to quality (or reality). When a bunch of us got our Californiaman ads in our 1/2 Vineman bags, the universal response was along the lines of "If you happen to see any of the scenery depicted in the ad during your race, you are way off course." I would hate to be a mid-westerner coming to California from my snowed-in winter, expecting to spend a day biking and running along the Pacific Ocean and across the Golden Gate, only to find myself in...Folsom. What is really weird is that you would have thought they could have put together some great pictures of the area where the race will actually be; its not like the foothills and Lake Natoma are ugly. That said, a buddy of mine pointed out that the what was supposedly going to be a pretty challenging bike course has been watered-down. Now, they are billing it as a PR race. I guess one can now PR their marathon at CIM in December and then their IM at Californiaman in May.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman vs. Californiaman [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jaylew, I am going to have to disagree with you on the marketing, if not as to quantity, at least as to quality (or reality). When a bunch of us got our Californiaman ads in our 1/2 Vineman bags, the universal response was along the lines of "If you happen to see any of the scenery depicted in the ad during your race, you are way off course." Good point. I wondered the same thing when I saw the ad. I guess their rationale is that the name of the race is CaliforniaMan & therefore they can show many of the beauties of California. I just meant that the marketing effort has been impressive(not necessarily accurate, though).
On another topic Garth, are you happy with the moves the Kings made? My poor Mavs couldn't sign anyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman vs. Californiaman [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I am not sure anyone could have made enough moves to combat the Lakers. I guess the rich just get richer. I am bummed that the Kings got rid of Keon, and I would prefer not to have traded Hedo to the Spurs, but other than that it seems like wash. I could take or leave Brad Miller, we'll see. I was surprised that the Mavs missed out; I guess 'Zo figured he would rather win the East than compete in the West. He would have been an impressive addition ot the Mavs, if he stayed healthy.

I agree that the quantity of adds for CM have been impressive. Plus, it looks like J&A is putting together a decent enough prize purse to attract some legit pros. Who knows, maybe Folsom will become the next Roth? Apparently there aren't too many folks signed up for the race, yet. I hope that changes and they get a good turnout. I would have liked to see them drop the price a bit. They are asking $400, while if I signed up for Full Vineman this far in advance, I'd only pay $250 and even last minute registration for Vineman is only $330.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was debating on both as well for next year.I thought the $400. entry fee for a 1st year race was a little high as well compared to Vineman being $250. Especially considering that it's between Wildflower & Escape from Alcatraz.
I would think if the entry fee was around $275-300. they would draw alot more people. I hope it's a big success though.
I think I'll go to Wildflower though instead and then to Vineman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have 500 entered already.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply