Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY
Quote | Reply
Potential opportunity to move to White Plains, NY. Would like to make an educated decision. Good tri clubs there? Is it an active community? Info appreciated...
Last edited by: loveit: May 11, 05 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [loveit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a Westchester Triathlon Club (look it up - they've got group rides most days of the week and on weekends) and some races in the area. If you're getting paid enough and can afford to live in the area it's got some decent schools and some nice training terrain. Especially the running environment is abso-fuckin-lutely brilliant with the Rockefeller estate's (they now call it Rockefeller State Park) trail system available to the public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice area if you can afford it. I went to school there for a year

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tarrytown NY, which is about 7-8 miles from White Plains and I'm training for my first sprint. I'll give you the benefit of my limited tri experience but I've lived in the area for 5 years and I really like Tarrytown. White Plains is a larger town and has a small city type feel, I go there for the PETCO and Westchester Wine Warehouse ocassionally. :)

Westchester is insanely expensive and property taxes and housing prices are through the roof. A pretty crappy single family house starts at like 500k. Money aside (let's assume you're a millionaire), it's a very nice place to live with good schools and very low crime. You can also jump a train to NYC from lots of different places making it easy to commute from/to.

The above poster is completely correct Rockefeller is friggin AWESOME....lots of trails with little lakes interspersed and great for long runs. Usually pretty quiet and not that many people around oddly enough.

There is a Masters Swim Club right in White Plains.

Westchester Masters YWCA of White Plains and Central Westchester
515 North Street
White Plains, NY
Practice Times: Monday 8-9:30PM, Tuesday 1-2, Wed. 8:15-9:30PM,Thursday 1-2, Friday 8-9:30PM and Sunday 5:30 -7PM

Haven't been there b/c I am swimming at my local YMCA (Tarrytown) still.

These are the groups I've found so far but haven't yet met up with:
Westchester Cycling Club
[url]http://www.westchestercycleclub.org[/url]

Westchester Cycling Club Yahoo Newsgroup
[url]http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCTriathlon/?yguid=223478882[/url]

Westchester Tri Club
[url]http://www.westchestertriclub.com[/url]

Lots of people do their long bike rides to/from Bear Mountain along route 9 on the east side of the Hudson and on 9w on the west side of the Hudson. I haven't done it yet, I'm waiting for my bike to arrive. :(

Also there's (supposedly) a great bike trail that goes from the Tarrytown Lakes all through Westchester but this is a rumor because I haven't verified it for myself yet. ;)

If you're ever in the mood to run or bike really really slow in the area, let me know. ;)

</*I'm not slow, I'm a better than average Clydesdale*\>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everybody else said, there's LOTS of goodies for Tri-minded folk in and around White Plains and the surrounding area.

There is a HUGE group ride called the Gimbels ride every weekend in the summer. (which sadly I've never done yet) that goes right thru there. The Bronx River parkway is closed every Sunday am for bikes to ride on (this is more of a family thing than for training)

There are many fantastic roads to ride on (Rt 100 from say Pleasantville north, being the most popular), and yes, a dedicated bike path that runs from Elmsford all the way up to Jefferson Valley. And another one from Valhalla to the County Center, and further south (I forget how far, it's been many moons...) Plus, numerous County and State parks to run, bike, or hike in, in and near the area.

There are races galore of all types: Tri, Du, Road, Running, MTB, Adventure Racing, Orienteering, etc etc etc all around the area pretty much all the time. You won't have to drive more than 30 mins to race, unless you want to.

If you can't find places to ride, run, and swim in that area - and other folks to do it with if you are so inclined - then I suggest you take up origami or horseshoes or scrapbooking ;-)

Welcome to the area!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of tri opportunities. Warning: We are really just starting to feel spring around here, and in about a month the hot and humid summer will settle in until around late september when the fall comes crashing in. In other words, it's not the best weather. Good luck!

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [trinitythlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to dispute part of that...the weather CAN be repressive but it will probably never KILL you.

We have no:
-tornados
-avalanches
-earthquakes
-mudslides
-floods

I'll take the NE over lots of other areas.

Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [Target74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey there...contacted the Westchester Tri Club and that seems to be made up of mostly IM distance people(i'm a sprint and Oly guy so far). there is a definite need for a tri club in Westchester that caters to all distances for the greater good of promoting the sport in this county.

am a member of the WCC (and WCC Tri yahoo group) but never ridden with them.

that all being said: this area rocks for cycling...very hilly, as someone else said, white plains has the master's swim program...

in short (or long) you will be happy with what this area has to offer for training and racing tri's.

you can also join us for the Westchester Tri in September (Oly).

good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback!

I know I'm going somewhere...just don't know where yet. Sounds like WP is a good place to land (despite the snow...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another great benefit of living in the area. The Westchester Road Runner, in White Plains, is the best running shop I've ever been to. It's staffed by real runners, some world-class, some just with class, and not high school kids who know nothing about shoes beyond what Kobe or Shaq wear.

I started going to the WRR in around 1982. Owner Andy and his staff are great people.

They also sell lots of tri-related items, from swim goggles to gels and wetsuits. No bike equipment, though.

WRR would be a great place to orient yourself on running and tri groups and events. When I did the NYC Marathon in 2003 I found out maybe two days in advance that they ran their own shuttle buses from Tarrytown to the start, for a very reasonable price. Saved me hours wasted getting to the start from Westchester via Manhattan.
Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [klointheridge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you wrote that about the Westchester Tri club, that was my take on them exactly... As a guy who was never fit before (and trying to be fit now), trying for his first sprint they seem a bit intimidating, at least based on their website.

I completely agree that Westchester needs a more inclusive type tri club...unless the Westchester Cycling - Tri subgroup is good....anybody know anything about them?

Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [Target74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm glad you wrote that about the Westchester Tri club, that was my take on them exactly... As a guy who was never fit before (and trying to be fit now), trying for his first sprint they seem a bit intimidating, at least based on their website.

I completely agree that Westchester needs a more inclusive type tri club...unless the Westchester Cycling - Tri subgroup is good....anybody know anything about them?[/reply]

yeah, we are just a forum as far as i can tell. no real organization. i did happen to find someone to train with from there though, so maybe that's a start?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of tri going's on.

Good tri, track, and master's swim clubs.

All speeds. There are some seriously fast people (swimmers/bikers/runners/all3ers) in just about every club.

The running trails are really highlight. Good riding too, but the running is really the best. Swimming, lots of pools, both masters and gyms with nice pools.

There is also a good group that does indoor rides Tue/Thur nights and Sat morning during the winter, so you don't have to suffer on the trainer by yourself.

Winters can be a drag. But I discovered snowshoeing this past winter and it really helped my running a lot.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up here check out

http://www.ryetriclub.com/faq

and

https://www.newrorunners.org/about

great area for tri
Quote Reply
Re: Lots of decisions...White Plains, NY [MDFWP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming he/she did end up in White Plains, I'm not sure how much tri-related stuff has remained unexplored during the last 17 years...
Quote Reply