Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What motivates you?
Quote | Reply
After doing my first half marathon in February, taking a month off to travel and then not getting drawn for the race that I wanted (not too many where I live) my motivation is pretty low. Have a few other races but not really pushing myself. I'm still biking, still running but not anywhere at the level I was this time last year when I was keen and ready to go. I read the weekly update and wonder, where do some of you guys find it in you to get your butts off the sofa and out training. In awe of some of you and how you manage to do so much with such little free time.
Quote Reply
Re: What motivates you? [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read your post several times. Obviously, I only speak for myself, but I make time for training and racing at the expense of something else. Dust bunnies, like I'd never seen while living in the midwest, adorn corners of my apartment and will stay there because I've gone out for a cool (relatively) weather run today. And they'll probably be there tomorrow too ;-)

Even though I'm currently injured with a twice-broken hand within three weeks, no less, I've still got Ironman Arizona in my sight for November and likely the Las Vegas Marathon in December. My advice to you is to pick something and train for it. Therein lies your motivation. Hope this helps...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This finally got me off my butt and into the gym. http://vimeo.com/42738690

Now on my schedule for 2013.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally echoing SallyShortyPnts. There are some things I've just learned to live with, like a less-than-pristine house and a garden with weeds. I'm also a big believer in rituals: one example is that I sign up for my goal race on January 1st, a symbolic day for new beginnings. So my training and my race are more than just events, they're associated to achieving some personal growth. I know that sounds really Oprah-y, but it has worked for me without fail for 10 years. Sign up for a race, but when you sign up also set your goals and set personal, not just physical, ones. Then think of the pride of finishing well, and compare that to the dust bunnies or to whatever activity you had to give up. Which matters more: an hour of TV right now or blasting through the finish line in six months?

The second thing is that in each workout I make a point of really focusing on how much I enjoy the sensation of the effort. I know that sounds weird; what I mean is that when I'm biking, I think of how powerful my legs feel (even though I suck!), how amazing it is to see the countryside going by, how athletic I feel, etc. When I swim I enjoy being in the water and the sense of being strong as I pull through. Because I focus on those sensations it makes it easier for me to look forward to my next bike or swim or run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We all have those times in our lives when motivation is hard. I find having friends to go with helps and signing up for structured events.

I am also a bit low on motivation lately, but I am going to do a 75 mile - three summit ride on Sunday. It will likely kill me, but the views and hopefully new friends will be worth it!

hang in - it gets better!

Re: What motivates you? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hyr00 wrote:

The second thing is that in each workout I make a point of really focusing on how much I enjoy the sensation of the effort. I know that sounds weird; what I mean is that when I'm biking, I think of how powerful my legs feel (even though I suck!), how amazing it is to see the countryside going by, how athletic I feel, etc. When I swim I enjoy being in the water and the sense of being strong as I pull through. Because I focus on those sensations it makes it easier for me to look forward to my next bike or swim or run.

It doesn't sound weird at all. I love the feeling when I am doing something as I can feel muscles and body working together. Also love the post workout power glow. After I posted this, I got off as my butt and did something. I know that compared to most folks, I do a hell of a lot but I read the weekly updates and am in awe of how much time and dedication you guys have. I finally went for a swim (I love swimming but where I live the pool rules are insane) so it takes the fun out of it, upped my running and my biking this week. I guess ever now and then I need a kick in the pants. Signing up for races is the best thing for me but sadly, all the races are full for the season (even though the deadlines are weeks away) so I guess I will be training for next year's half? ;)

Thanks for the kick and suggestions!
Quote Reply