Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fullcarbon wheels not completely round/true
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys

I am a 33yr Danish triathlete who checks the forum quite a lot but must admit that i don participate much in the discussion myself - need to change that....

I notice that you very much recommend the fullcarbon aerowheels and discs such as H3, Specialized 3-spoke, full discs etc. Very aerodymanic off-course. But does it not disturb you that they normally are more and less out of true or not completely round ??

Having tried several models that was both oval and untrue, 2 sets of 3-spokes ( 1 backwheel so out of true that the bikeshop took it back immediately as they could see it was impossible to ride and 1 full set where the backwheel is not completely round, probably within the factory limits but i can still feel it when riding) and i have seen discs that was over 1cm untrue. The companies behind wheels usually has specs on the webpages of how much out of alignment is acceptable on their particular product

Now this is nothing new and has been mentioned frequently on the board by Dan E. amongst others, that fullcarbon wheels can be more or less true and that is just the price of aero.

Maybe i have been more unlucky than most with the purchases but I miss my trusted old Mavic Cosmic Pro wheels, so smooth that it felt like i was riding on rails. I am now going to sell the 3-spokes and move to a spoked carbonwheel like the Zipp 404 or HED instead as they can be trued and maintained easily.

Am i just to sensitive ? or do any of you think the same about wheels

I very much prefer smooth running and true wheels over the perhaps more aero fullcarbon stuff.

Regards

Jesper
Quote Reply
Re: Fullcarbon wheels not completely round/true [Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By virtue of several factors, there is no way that a full composite (i.e. no spokes) can be 100% true. Most companies have a lateral (side-to-side) tolerance of 0.50" or less. Sometimes, a bad one comes out of the batch.

You ought to see some of the forks out there. Some of them have rakes of anywhere from 37mm-47mm, and there's only two specs for most (41-45mm) in each line.

Composites are tricky. For a laterally perfect (less than 0.40") and other factors to be perfect on every single piece that comes out, there would be anywhere from a 30-150% increase in price.
Quote Reply
Re: Fullcarbon wheels not completely round/true [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman,
better move that decimal point over to the left about 1 place. A .40 wheel would be pretty bad. I do agree that .040, while less than ideal , is certainly rideable. -Andy

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at Dans latest writeup on ABG/litespeed there is a photo of Steve Hed and another guy standind by some type of fixture(wheel) the tan round part is plywood,this is where your new Disc/composite wheel will be built,On plywood, You can make a composite wheel that is true,years of working in manurfacturing tells me this,tricky? yes, hard ?yes, but i am sure it can be done, would it matter if your next trispoke was perfectly true? NO

Life is to short to spend your Friday nights patching flatted tubulars
Quote Reply
Re: Fullcarbon wheels not completely round/true [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mistake. I am half blind in the mornings and type several typos.
Quote Reply
Re: Fullcarbon wheels not completely round/true [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That fixture could be a pattern for a fixture or a temporary fixture until a real one can be made. A bike jig I made is out of plywood, but it is unadjustable, and not terribly durable for repeated use. It could catch fire from the tack welding operation if I were hamfisted. Note that I have not built a bike, yet.

As long as your trispoke is under .040" laterally (yes, I got it right this time), it is perfectly rideable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, i have a Specialized tri spoke that is about .030 and a RENN disk that is about .015 and they feel GREAT!!!...

PS : i like you signature... the part about winners ride tubulars... hahaha... i use tubulars too... ALL the time... Racing, Training... Even commuting... hahaha.... dont they just rock?
Quote Reply