Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forte tires?
Quote | Reply
Has anybody used Performance's Forte Tires? I'm specifically looking at the top of the forte line, which is the Forte Pro SL. According to the catalog, it has a kevlar lining, inflates up to 155 PSI, weighs only 190 grams for 700x23, and they're available for half off right now ($18.50 per tire).

I've been riding a pair of Michelin Erilium tires for the past few months, after I got sick of my Hutchison Carbon Comps flatting on me on every ride. The Eriliums are bulletproof, but they're also very heavy -- almost 360 grams each. Good for training and riding the rough city roads, but not a good race tire.

From the description, the Forte tires sound like they have everything I'm looking for at a very good price. But I don't want to be sitting by the side of the road because I didn't spend the extra $$ on quality tires. I couldn't find a review on roadbikereview, so I'm hoping to get some opinions here.

Thanks for any help!

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Forte tires? [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used the Forte Pro SL, but I used to work for Performance and I've inspected those tires, so I'll give you my take. I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are looking for a tire for both racing and training. If that is the case, I wouldn't recommend the Pro SL. There's no way I would use that tire for regular training. Kevlar belt or no, that tire is just too light and thin to rely on in training on a regular basis. I've used the Forte Pro Kevlar in training for thousands of miles and thought it was a great deal on a training tire(of course I only paid $17 each instead of the $29-$35 they usuallty sold for. FWIW, the Forte tires are made by Panaracer.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in an area where the roads are wicked on tires, lots of potholes, debris not to mention many of them are made of coral. I also have a notorious reputation for flatting in races, of course never on a training ride. I switched out my carbon comps for Forte Kevlar Pro's. I have not had a flat yet, knock on wood! They're not the prettiest tire, but who cares, as long as I'm not stuck on the side of the road changing a flat or even worse catching a ride back to the transition area, I'm a happy triathlete.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say buy them. I just bought a pair myself, but at 24.99 ea., so this is a great deal. Misery loves company. However, I think they are misrepresenting the Kevlar in these particular tires. I think it should read Kevlar bead as there is also the Forte Pro SL Kevlar model that has a Kevlar belt for flat resistance.

I made the Forte Pro SL purchase after my front Michelin Hi-Lite (Performance exclusive tire) sidewall started to crack and cause a high spot in the middle of the Folsom Int. Tri on Sunday. I completed the bike leg but had some major time delays due to having to fix this problem.

I purchased them on the recommendation of a Performance employee that I trust AND who races criteriums in Cat. 3. Of course he gets a discount on stuff, but he gets a discount on everything and could use Vredesteins if he wanted to. I did ask him about the Vredesteins and he recommended the Forte's. We'll see.

The Forte Pro SL tire is produced by Panaracer in Japan (it says Panaracer on the tire.) A brand name manufacturer in a country that has high quality standards (I think.) I also talked to the Performance employee about the p.s.i. number. He said the max number is half the number at which the tire actually burst i.e. 155 psi = 310 psi tire burst /2 (that leaves how durable are the tubes you use.)

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All,

Thanks for the great advice. I ended up getting a pair of Vittoria Tecno Pro tires. Relatively light (210 grams) and high pressure (130 psi) with high TPI count (220). Also on sale for 1/2 off (24.99 per tire). Don't ask me exactly why I didn't buy the Forte Pro SL's -- I don't have a good answer except maybe that the tires sounded too good to be true, and I wanted a name brand.

Performance also says in the most recent catalog that these tires have some Kevlar in them, but I looked at the Vittoria web site and it's simply not true. Someone at Performance must have decided that Kevlar tires sell, so check before you buy.

If I'm very unhappy with them I'll be sure to let everyone know. :-)

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"after I got sick of my Hutchison Carbon Comps flatting on me on every ride"

Talk about timing. I just put my hands TODAY on a pair of Carbon Comps with the idea of replacing the original Kendas from my Cervelo for the Big Kahuna triathlon coming in 3 weeks. That is my first time trying the Carbon Comps. Can anybody give any good feedback about them? I don't need to get any additional stress for that coming A race...

Thanks,

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Forte tires? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple friends of mine and my sister all picked up some Hutchinson Carbon Comps (black with yellow stripes) when Performance had them on sale. One of my friends and my sister each had a tire with a hole in the sidewall which caused flats. These holes were high up on the sidewall where they were most likely NOT caused by glass debris but rather were a manufacturing defect. The tires were sent back and replaced, but a pain in the ass nonetheless. They seem like good tires, but take a real close look at them when you mount them.
Quote Reply
Re: Forte tires? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. You can be sure I will be looking at these tires with an electronic microscope!

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of hutchinson's that came with my Felt. I feel that they are good light tires. Slightly smaller and lighter than the Michelin Pro Race. I say smaller cuz they pass through my brakes better when I put the wheel on my bike, and I say lighter cuz they feel thinner. I have not measured them or put them on a scale though. I didn't think that they were durable enough for everyday riding but would be great on a clean course with roads in fairly good condition.

I currently ride on the Pro Race.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 13, 03 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hutchinson Carbon Comps are said to be fragile tires. Be careful! My buddy has a TCR1 which comes stock with those tires. Only about 500 miles of wear before the belt ripped.

-----------------------
Proud member of Team Tooth Pick (TTP): like a leaf in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Forte tires? [powergyoza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
um, not exactly what I was hoping to hear! I guess I will put them on and remove them after the race.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirunner,

Take advantage of the sale that Performance is having right now and get something else. I'm using my new tires in a race this Sunday. The last thing you need in a race is a 5 minute rest while you change a tire, or even the nervous feeling that comes from not trusting your equipment. If you do ride the Carbon Comps in your race, bring two spare tubes, not just one.

My bike came with Carbon Comps. Maybe I was unlucky or maybe I had bad tires, but it seemed like every weekend ride I'd find some piece of glass that would flat me. I spent enough money on tubes to buy at least one tire, probably more, before I finally did. The last straw was being 18 miles into a 40 mile out and back ride where I bent the valve on my spare tube and had to ride home at about 50 psi. Not fun. As I said, I overcompensated and got tires that are way too heavy for racing, although they do make good training tires and they're tough as nails. I'm saving my carbon comps for the trainer this winter.

Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 negative against 1 positive feedback... Oh well, I still have more than 3 weeks to pick tires that I will be able to trust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you took mine as a positive or a negative but I would definitely trust brand new ones for the race. Some of the roads I ride on have broken concrete and that caused the issues I had with the tires.

jaretj
Quote Reply