Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hot or cold bath
Quote | Reply
i got a massage after a race the other day and the masseuse said to take a warm bath when I got back home. i was sort of confused by her comment as i was under the impression that a cold bath was best after a race. who is right?
Quote Reply
Re: hot or cold bath [T1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soon after a workout -- cold only.

Later that day and the next -- warm can feel nice, but doesn't help anything. If your muscles need warming, put on some clothes and move around. When my legs have that aching tightness the day after an all-out effort, I lay on the floor and do "bicycling" legs in the air.

Then I stretch a little and do a cold soak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a race, hard run, etc. cold is the best option by far. Your muscles have been abused, have been damaged and are essentially injured at the microscopic level and need to recover. Heat added at this stage (within the first day or two) will only increase the inflammation, which can actually make the injury worse and slow recovery. Cold will help decrease inflammation and will potentially help you heal quicker. The sooner the better, that's why it's such a good idea to go stand in the water at the end of a Tri.

I clearly remember one of my exercise physiology professors pounding into my head that heat is overused (and often abused) as a recovery/healing tool. Jumping into a hot-tub right after a hard workout is a bad idea, but a lot of people do it. Heat can be used in the later stages of healing to help increase circulation to an injured area but it's couter-productive to do when the injury is new and the inflammation is it's highest. An effective approach to therapy in the later stage can be to alternate cold and heat.
Quote Reply
Re: hot or cold bath [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cold is the way to go. Think of yourself as a thourghbred horse. They always get a nice cool hosing down after workouts.

If it's good for the horse, it's good enough for me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: hot or cold bath [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jumping into a hot-tub right after a hard workout is a bad idea, but a lot of people do it. I agree w/ you, but it sure does feel nice to relax in those hot tubs after IM Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... cold is best... helps reduce swelling and reduces bleeding. However, I for one must admit that warm baths feel much better on the muscles. I think it's the relaxing effect you get from warm water that triggers the relaxation effect. Unfortunately, it's cold that helps speed recovery.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hot baths too close before or after heavy exertion are not good. They do, more or less, inflame your entire body regardless of whether or not you have an injury. If you have specifically injured something (twist, impact, etc.), heat immediately following is bad for it because it will increase the blood flow to that area as your body tries in vain to cool it back down.

I'm assuming you snagged the massage because you were tightening or even cramping in spots. If you are tightening and/or cramping, a cold bath will increase the severity of the cramping and probably cause more. Why? Because blood flow to the area decreases and it can no longer replenish used nutrients. Try it. Stick your hand in a bucket of ice for 15 minutes, pull it out, and it will be pale from lack of blood flow and will feel stiff as a board when you try to move it.

However, warm neither equals hot nor cold. The masseuse suggested a warm bath because it continues the relaxation process. A massage damages you in a similar fashion to a workout, causing microscopic bruising and tearing in your muscles. If you jump into a hot bath, you worsen the damage and you will feel it tighten later for sure. If you jump into a cold bath, your body will rapidly tighten up, totally undoing any immediate good the masseuse did for you. A [i]warm[/i] bath ([i]i.e.[/i] around room temp) helps keep your blood flow stable and allows your body to be in a relaxed position without excess compression at the points on which your body is resting due to your buoyancy. Of course, this assumes you have a bath large enough in which for you to nearly lie down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I discovered ice baths while working with a Division 1 cross country team. They always jumped into an ice cold whirlpool after intense workouts. I have incorportated them into my training/racing and have convinced my wife and friends to do the same. Everyone who does them finds that they help the recovery process tremendously.

I will fill the tub with cold water and then add ice (2-3 8lb bags). Enough ice to cool the water to a chilly 50-55 degrees. I will not lie to you, those first 5 minutes are brutal, find a happy place. Your legs will eventually become numb to the cold, after about 5 minutes. I stay in the water for about 15 minutes. I definitely notice a difference when I do this after particularly hard training sessions or races.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply