Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cable installation question
Quote | Reply
After I got back from Lake Placid, I found that the monsoons had taken a toll on my bike. Neither the brakes nor the shifters worked right. I had to replace every cable and every housing. This was more than a little irritating, since most of them were new in the previous month.

When I installed these cables I used Tri Flow synthetic grease on the cable. I had never done that before, but a LBS mechanic I observed always greased the cables. Is this a good idea? Did I use the right grease? Are there good and bad cable housings? A couple of the housings had the vinyl housing pushed back and the inner metal jacket exposed. I don't know if this was because of a lousy housing or just a result of having to apply excessive force to the cable because it was sticking.

Any insight would be appreciated. It is a real pain replacing these things.
Quote Reply
Re: Cable installation question [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always use either tri flow, white lightning or wrench force lube, what ever happens to be on hand. I drip some down the back end of the housing and drip a few drops on the cable before sliding it in. I found if I replace 1 cable a night it is much less of a pain in the arse. Maybe just a too much water at the race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cable installation question [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most greases are not waterproof and will trap water and hold it,be careful with seat posts and quill stems,people grease them with the wrong grease and do more damage then if it had not been greased,If you must grease cables use a good waterproof grease from a boat store
Quote Reply