Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dehydrated
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies,

I did an Olympic race this weekend and felt pretty good throughout the whole race. It was my first race off my stress fractured femur. I ended up feeling pretty bad though about 30 minutes after the race but it would just come and go. I only ate a turkey wrap, gatorade, and a water bottle after the race. The race start was at 10 and I did not pee until 2 on the ride home. I was feeling fine until I ate dinner around 6. I had my typical salad, sweet potato, turkey dinner with some fruit and cookie dough ice cream for dessert. I figured that I was feeling sick because of the ice cream since I am slightly lactose intolerant. However, after an hour of stomach pain and attempting to throw up, I went to bed. I rolled around in bed for about an hour not able to get comfortable. Tried to drink some water/eat cheerios but couldn't. My mom made me go to the ER to get some fluids because we figured I was dehydrated/hypoglycemic. The blood tests confirmed that I was both dehydrated and had indications of slight Rhabdo... CPK was around 650. The race was Saturday, I laid in bed all day Sunday and went to classes and worked on my bike Monday. I swam this morning. How long do I take off? What is my main concern right now? Not getting dehydrated again or healing my muscles? Any input is appreciated. I have a sprint this coming Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydrated [cgirltri92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this happen before, when I've really turned myself inside out and pushed my body hard in a race. From what I understand it's pretty common. I just stayed away from most food and drank a lot of water with electrolytes added. It took about 24h to actually feel hungry again, and a couple days before eating actually felt "good". I was ready to do a workout again after 2 days but gave myself one more day of recovery.

Worst feeling ever though. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A CPK of 650 really isn't at all unexpected after a race. I would expect that after any high intensity exercise. Just hydrate well and resume your normal training as you would. I would blame the turkey (or anything that didn't sit well in your stomach) more than the dehydration for how you felt, IMO.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you hydrated well going into the race? Seems like you shouldn't get severely dehydrated from an Oly race if you were hydrated going into it, but what do I know?!
Quote Reply
Re: Dehydrated [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was definitely not hydrated going into the race. I accept full responsibility for that one.
Quote Reply