Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Abdominal Cramps in Runs After Cycling
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I'm new to triathlon, coming from an elite cycling background. I did a duathlon last weekend (2 mile run, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run). I felt good in my first run and also had a decent bike leg. In the 2nd run, however, I had these sharp pains just to the right of my belly button. It did not seem like a typical side ache and did not dissipate. During the race, I only had a couple sips of water in the two transitions, and I ate breakfast 2.5 hours before the start of the race, so it was not food/drink related. I think it was a muscular problem, as I could still feel some tenderness in that area the evening following the race.

Yesterday, I did a time trial effort on my bike, followed by an easy 2 mile run. Again, I was plagued by the same sharp pains in my abdomen, though this time they were on both sides of my belly button (the pains on the right side were the worst, though). The pain is severe enough to greatly hamper my running. I stopped during my run last night and the pain immediately dissipated, but it came back as soon as I began running again.

I have never had this abdominal pain before these two occurrences. It appears to be something that happens only when I run after riding, but I plan to test this theory tonight by solely running. Has anyone else had experience with this sort of thing? Is it caused by being in the aero position prior to running? Is there any way to alleviate it without altering my bike position much?
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal Cramps in Runs After Cycling [moonbeam16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NY Central Park Duathlon huh? How'd you do?

Near the belly button doesn't sound like a side stitch, so I would go with more of a groin strain or tight hamstrings forcing the abs to tighten and severely cramp.

Is your cycle setup for TT or road? Might be a TT fit issue or your body needing time to adjust to running off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal Cramps in Runs After Cycling [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My duathlon was in Idaho. I was the first-placed woman. The second run was just a bummer, due to the cramps.

I am riding my TT bike for these pre-run efforts, as it is what I will ride for triathlons. I have ridden this TT bike for a few years, but adding the running after riding is a new thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as an elite cyclist I'm going to bet your easy TT effort is 10x what most triathletes consider 11/10. Also if you are new to triathlon, I'm guessing that means new to running too?

My thought is that you are pushing too hard on the bike for your current level of run fitness. I would back off the TT pace until you stop having a problem (if you don't then look elsewhere) as well as run more and do more core stability work.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may need to tweak your fit on the TT rig to accomadate for running off the bike. Try sliding your saddle forward a bit and see if you get the same cramping.

Then again, I am no where near elite status...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have over-biked for the run pace you set.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue, where it was cramping near the belly button. I started drinking much more water while on the trainer, and fixed the problem. I'd look at hydration as an easy test, at least to rule it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite your hunch, I'm going to suggest 'stitch'. Even if it's in a different place and feels different it can still be a stitch. Your trigger here is unique (TT bike to run), so the stitch itself can be unique.
And the fact that it hurts to the touch the next day...tells you that you damaged intestine. I've done this before trying to push through a stitch in a race.

My bet is that your hip angle is too closed during cycling which is resulting in an intestinal blockage and for whatever reason it triggers your pain when you come out of the position and run hard.

You may find that you can continue on as usual and over the next few weeks or months it will resolve itself. But I would suggest you consider using shorter cranks. What is your inseam and what length are your cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you get the same pain when you do an easy ride then run? also, how is your running fitness?
A tri specific fit and running fitness might be all you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal Cramps in Runs After Cycling [3Dealz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to get this also when I was drinking lots of coffee and my core was weak....will see if eliminating coffee and working my core helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am new to running off the bike (I believe I have only done it 3 times, all of which have been hard efforts), so it is tough to say whether it happens when I am riding/running easily. I am starting to think that I actually strained something in my abdomen, as I went for a run last night (no riding beforehand) and I still had the abdominal pains. I have never had these pains when I have solely gone running, until today. My running fitness is something I still need to work on. My longest run is 8.5 miles, fastest mile time is 5:58, fastest 2 mile time is 12:13, and fastest 5 km is 20:03. I have done no structured running training, so I do need to start to incorporate that for sure, and I also need to gradually build up my distance.

My TT bike is set up relatively aggressively since I, as a cyclist, was never using it for anything longer than 40km. Maybe I do need to adjust it a bit to give a more open hip angle. I believe my cranks on my TT bike are 172.5. I don't like the idea of having to ease up on my cycling effort to prep for my run, as my bike segment is my strong suit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a good few years old at this stage but did you ever get this resolved? I just did my first triathlon and had exactly the same issue right down to the location and post-race tenderness.
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal Cramps in Runs After Cycling [odonohs2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there were various topics on this issue - it happens a lot to new(ish) Triathletes and especially those that have office jobs (like me). I would say lots of us have shortened iliopsoas and abdominal muscles for sitting most of the day. And then during the race you push those muscles from extreme stretch (long reach being horizontal during swimming), to extremely crunched at high intensity/efforts (aggressive TT position), to extremely stretched again (long steps). I can understand that the poor muscles are freaking out =)

The things that helped me were:

1) Good physiotherapist who can help with tight mentioned muscles and stretching
2) Looots of stretching in the evenings (should anyways be standard hopefully)
3) More brick sessions, so the muscles get used to running after biking
4) Proper bikefit
5) Stretch in T2. Yes you look stupid and will lose time. But it can worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
always right side for me too... I get it a little higher up.. right at my last rib. It passes usually but it slows me down and then I worry about it coming back if I push
Quote Reply