Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st IM - What do I pack on the bike.
Quote | Reply
My first IM on Sunday in B.C.( Bigfoot at Harrison Hot Springs) - Any suggestions out there on what to take on my bike. I have fueling handled, but I'm wondering about tubes, tools, spare tire, etc? Never had a breakdown during a ride, but there is always a first time! Also, if anyone has done this small event before, any comments would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st IM - What do I pack on the bike. [moose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always decide what to carry based on how far I want to walk if my bike craps out for a given failure.

For example. I always carry 2 tubes, glue and about 10 patches (patches are very light) Pump is good (CO2 only works once, pump can be used over and over) Tire levers gotta be. I also carry allen keys that have a phillips head driver and flat head driver. I have a small adjustable wrench (about 8cm long) and of course a chain tool.

That's about it. In my spares pouch I also carry a zipp lock baggie with some vaseline in it for my soft fleshy bits. I'm an ex boyscout so I also carry about 60-70cm length of duct tap wrapped around itself (or a golf penci!) to temporarily repair a slashed tire from the inside. A tube is no good if it pokes out the slash in the tire. A friend slashed a tire a few km from the bike start at Kona few years ago and by the time she got back to transition, replaced the tire and tube sand he headed out of T1 only to miss the swim to bike cutoff. DNF. Very expensive swim race!

If you have to make any repair and are not expecting prize money, fix the problem slowly, get your heart rate down and fix it properly! fixing it once, slowly, is much faster than fixing it improperly twice or 3 times.

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: 1st IM - What do I pack on the bike. [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. There are a few I hadn't thought of and will add to my list. I have put the miles in on the bike, but haven't had any problems. You start to get lulled into a "nothing can go wrong" attitude, so I just want to be prepared for the inevitable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moose,

My take is a little different. Note that I have done many IMs and only carry a spare tubie, CO2, and adaptor. I do make sure my tires are in very good shape as well as my overall bike maintenance. More than that and where do you stop? Knock on wood this has worked for me, so far.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moose: I've only done one IM, but I took one spare tube, a few self adhesive patches, two tire levers and two Co2s with small adaptor. All this fits in one very small saddle bag. I threw an extra tube & Co2 in special needs bag just in case.

Most important. I put a new pair of tires on early IM week so I didn't get any flats to begin with .

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: 1st IM - What do I pack on the bike. [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you race on clinchers?

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: 1st IM - What do I pack on the bike. [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I do (for now)

However, I am convinced that Tubulars are a good idea for race wheels, but I haven't bought a set yet and the wheel fairy has yet to drop a set at my house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moose,

Let me know what you think of the Bigfoot IM length event. I've talked to people who have done their shorter races and were very pleased. My concern with their IM length event is how small the field is (They had only 29 finishers last year). I was concerned that I would be out there in the middle of nowhere with noone in sight
Quote Reply
Re: 1st IM - What do I pack on the bike. [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brent - I will let you know how it goes. My decision on Bigfoot was that it offered an opportunity to finish in the top 20...just kidding! Actually, my endurance background is in trail ultra running so the solitude wasn't a concern. The location appears to be a nice family spot (waterpark, tram ride, etc. nearby). The course is advertised as flat and not terribly windy. It just seemed like a gentle way to ease into the distance and try my legs out before IM Coeur d'Alene next year.
Quote Reply