Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

possible marathon goals?
Quote | Reply
It's looking like I'm not going to reach my spring marathon time goal. My training paces have not indicated that I'm on track.

My question is this: does anyone have a good suggestion for a non-time related goal for a marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: possible marathon goals? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It totally depends upon what you want to do for the race.

Odd things I've done running with slower friends - make it a scavenger hunt - grab pictures of all the crazy costumes along the way.

My constant goal for a marathon is to not have to stop at the restroom. Unfortunately, still haven't accomplished that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend recently did the Shanghai marathon and her goal was to run every single step of the Marathon. Although she didnt meet her time goal she was happy she was able to run the entire thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Negative split - run second half faster than first.
Also, think of this as a good opportunity to get experience. Test your nutrition plan out, etc.

Good luck.
Last edited by: nad: Feb 21, 12 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you training on surface/terrain same as your marathon? How far off are you? My spring marathon will be on paved, relatively flat terrain, but my training is often done on a somewhat hilly gravel road, so my training times often don't match what McMillan spits out--sometimes by a minute or more per mile gap. I've gone out of my way to do a few runs on paved surface, but even then it's probably hillier than my race terrain. Just something to think about.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're close enough to want to take a crack at it, go for it! And if at mile 13 or 16 or whatever, you're not on pace, then back off and look around for people who are struggling. And get them to the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No watch, no plan. Just run?

Soak it up and be happy you can use your legs and run the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far off? and how many weeks to go? If (and only if) you have a really good base and several weeks to go a substantial improvement can be made in that time.

If not of interest, running with a friend to pull them through would be good.. or pick a cause, make a shirt and do it for someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: possible marathon goals? [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the responses!
I'm still 7 weeks out from the race. My race is paved and very flat. My training is paved and slightly rolling (mostly flat, maybe a couple inclines here and there, nothing major).
Some of it is weather related... I had several crappy long runs but it was VERY COLD.
I think the main thing is that I seem to be stuck at one pace (the long run pace). I have tried to do some 'tempo' runs but I seem to be unable to pick up the pace.
I looked up McMillian, according to what I wanted my goal marathon time to be, I'm in range for my long runs except for those crappy weather days... but I'm not in range for any 'tempo' stuff or 'speed' stuff.

I think maybe I might take the attitude of 'screw it' I have nothing to lose... and just see what happens and use that as a learning experience. See when I blow up. So far I haven't blown up or bonked in the two IMs and one marathon I've done, my joints (knees) give me heck before that ever happens.
My original time goal was in the hopes that I could go quickly enough that I don't get the knee pain. I only get this knee pain after 20+ miles. So I was trying to figure out if it was a duration issue or # of footstrikes issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be shocked at how much easier it is to hit pace on marathon day.
I have done some of my best marathons when I just ran . Don't worry so much about hitting pace, especially early in race. The beauty of a marathon is you'll have plenty of time and road to speed up later if you feel up to it. Just throw the watch away and run.

Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are from the cold and maybe snowy part of the country. Preparing through the winter for a spring marathon is very difficult. It is hard to judge where you stand on the pace charts and things the programs say.. For sure you will be tough as nails from getting out in the bad weather.. You will be stronger than you can imagine from a combination of the conditions and all the clothes you've been lugging around.. Speedwork is not what it would be training for a fall marathon, but a good marathon is mostly driven from your endurance base. I think you will find that once the nicer weather hits and you can run in shorts and top you will run quite effortlessly.. So based on the "charts" I wouldn't give up on your goal.. You might surprise yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who runs a 2:22 marathon and he ALWAYS says "the first goal is to finish." Then the goal time, the have-fun thing, etc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: possible marathon goals? [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BPA wrote:
If you're close enough to want to take a crack at it, go for it! And if at mile 13 or 16 or whatever, you're not on pace, then back off and look around for people who are struggling. And get them to the finish line.

Awesome suggestion! I have to say, my husband and I were talking about this after my half today and I envied all the running groups and partners I saw. I went it alone and have to say, the crowd helped me get to the end because I nearly gave up. Looking for a running group now so I don't have to go it alone ever again.
Quote Reply
Re: possible marathon goals? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think at this point I'd be happy if I could just have fun, run the whole way, and finish with a smile on my face.
Quote Reply