The season will start in the beginning of May 2012 and will conclude after the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half Marathon on July 22, 2012. Traveling expenses are covered for coaches during Event Weekends.
Team ASPCA Run Coach Responsibilities:
1. Appropriately implement a training schedule devised by Team ASPCA’s national coach for participants to run or walk a half marathon at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
2. Attend Informational Meetings to review and discuss the training program with potential participants.
3. Assist Team ASPCA staff with recruitment through contacts within the local fitness market and social media networks. Be a vocal and strong advocate for the Team ASPCA program.
4. Determine training locations and courses conveniently located within the local training area. If necessary, work with staff to secure park permits.
5. Lead group training sessions each Saturday morning over a 12 week training season (Note: Depending on the team size, we may consider adding a weeknight group training session as well). Responsible for bringing the group together for announcements, explaining the work-out for that day and conducting an appropriate group warm-up. Must provide clear route maps to all participants and mark course as needed; establish water stop locations at appropriate intervals; and provide an emergency plan at all training sessions.
6. Ensure that all participants are supported throughout group training session. Coach must stay until every person finishes safely.
7. Must organize two clinics focused on nutrition/hydration and injury prevention. Guest speakers are highly encouraged. In addition, must work with a local specialty running store to organize a shoe/gear clinic within the first two weeks of the training season.
8. Be available for staff and participants weekly via email, phone and in-person for any questions relating to training for a half marathon. Coaches will be responsible for writing and then emailing out training tips and training location reminders to participants on the same day each week.
9. Assist staff and participants as necessary during Event Weekend (July 21-22, 2012) and ensure that all participants finish their race safely. Will be responsible for attending all Team ASPCA events during Event Weekend. All coaches on site Event Weekend support all Team ASPCA Participants for ASPCA and will not complete the race themselves.
10. Work with staff to plan one team social event a month.
11. Maintain a positive attitude and create an inspiring environment that encourages and supports all participants.
12. Obtain and maintain CPR certification.
For consideration, please send a statement of interest, resume and 3 references to Dani Rogers at Danielle.Rogers@aspca.org.