Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike?
Quote | Reply
So why is there so little discussion of the Kestrel KM40? It seems like everyone is looking at and comparing virtually every other tri or tri-like (ex. Talon) bike. FYI – I ride a Talon.

I am considering a new bike and seem to keep drifting back to the KM40. The P3 is very tempting as is the Tiphoon and some others, but I am just wondering why no one on this board seems to ride a KM40 and why it seems to rarely come up as the bike to buy? I speculate that it is because it has been around for years (not the new "hot" bike) or because it only comes in 650’s, but maybe I am missing something.

Anyone care to provide their thoughts on the KM40? It still is the ultimate tri bike, with the P3 as the only real challenge or equal – correct?

Quote Reply
Re: KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike? [tornado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the KM40 is also very nice and I am in the market for a new bike. Only problem it comes in 56 and 52 I am a 54. So not in the running. Suspect others like me. The people I know that have one love them. Good Luck!!

fal7
(looking at a Griffen)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not interested in having 650c wheels, so that takes it right off my list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me there's nothing ultimate about it since it's nowhere near my size. I'm sure it's very well built and if it works for you it might be a great bike. The drawbacks as I see them (when buying a bike for me):

It only comes in 2 sizes 52 and 56. I typically ride a 61

I don't want a composite bike

I wan't 700c wheels

It may be dumb, but I like seat tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had one for two years and it's an awesome bike. I'm 42 and comfort has become a bit important to me and I always feel good coming off the bike.

The size issue has always been a limitation to this bike. A little inside scoop: Wait untill the fall and Kestrel will be coming out with their new KM-40 which will come in several sizes from high 40's to 60cm or so.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a KM40 and it absolutely rocks. I wouldn't mind having a stiff little cervelo for short races but for the half and full IM nothing is better. Their (Kestrel's) achilles heel is two pronged... the molds are reportedly very expensive and so limits what the small company can offer in terms of sizes.

Second, they seem to have spent an enormous amount of resources in design and testing, plus the management of cheaper off shore manufacturing.

What is missing is an effective marketing plan, and an associated corporate visual aesthetic that equal the high quality design of the product. (bikes are very cool looking... ads and stuff aren't)

It can also be said that in a sport where 'new' is 'coolest', the KM40 has been around for quite a while. The talon can be argued is a bit of a compromise between road vs. tri.

You will NOT, however, regret buying the KM40 so long as it fits you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the strength of the km-40 is sex appeal. it is one sexy bike. if i can afford one i will get one even if it doesn't fit. i am also ultra-poser after all and part of posing is looking the part.

baby a black km-40 is one good looking maama jaama.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that it is mostly due to the fact that it has been around so long. In fact, I recently was doing some work around the house and found an old Triathlete magazine from 1999 and most of the bikes that would be on my short list for long course tri racing (KM 40, Softride Rocketwing, Aegis, etc.) were advertised in that issue. I think that most of the innovations of late have come much more slowly and some are just gimmicky (ie carbon rear ends?) and that most of the "older" styles will be every bit as fast as today's new machines provided the motor is ready to go...... or maybe this is my justification for not spending $800 Canadian on new aero bars to save .2 watts over my old Syntace :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a KM40 and love it. In a road bike I take about a 54 top tube but ride a 52 KM40 with no problems. Tom Demerley's shop said I would fit on it and built it up and I think it's the most comfortable bike I have ridden(I've tried a Litespeed Tuscony,Kestrel Talon,a steel LeMonde, Treck OCLV) I also have a Giant TCR 1 Composite road bike, which is a great ride but the Kestrel is hard to beat for comfort. It soaks up tar strips and road vibration like you wouldn't believe. I think it's pretty aero too because every time I'm coasting downhill next to other riders I have to hit the brakes or I just pull away from them. If something happened to it I'd buy another one in a minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a QR kilo for a couple of years, great bike btw. I was training for a IM this year and I must honestly say the alum frame was kicking my ass! 25 miles was OK 50 was tough! I never did make it over 60 on it. Several months I upgraded to a KM. I picked it because I had 650 racing wheels and I wanted a Carbon bike. I actually just bought the frame and switched my components over! Then sold my frame on ebay!!!!

The KM was/is a dream. I weigh 180 and am 50 so the smooth ride was very appreciated. It is like going from a sports car to a BMW 750, just as fast, much more comfie! And in fact it did make the training rides for IMUSA much better, I had 6 100+ rides and never felt fatiuge. It aslo climbs significantly better . The cocpit of the QR was shorter and the KM seemed to be at least an inch longhe. My QR was 55cm, the KM is 56

Anyway, I do tell my riding friends it was the best money I have spent is a while! it is a great bike and you look cool riding it

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike? [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It aslo climbs significantly better"

On that we disagree. I am 188 and 44 years... I find that the bottom bracket swings a great deal on the KM40 when out of the saddle. Compared to my CAAD7 road bike... I am better with a slow seated climbing style. On the road bike I like to stand up and rock back and forth... that does not work so well with the Kestrel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While visiting the Vineman Expo yesterday, I was speaking with the rep from kestrel. He mentioned to me that the all new KM-40 will be out next spring with preview at Interbike this fall. It will be two piece unit and manufactured in China. It will be available in multiple sizes (thought he may have said 48-61?). He was not sure what the cut-off from 650 to 700 would be but guessed at the size 55 frame. I can't wait to see it since I have always wanted won but didn't fit either existing size.

He also said it would be both lighter and less expensive than existing model (albeit made in China).

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He also said it would be both lighter and less expensive than existing model (albeit made in China).

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which KM 40 you taking about? The old-school, looks like an old Kestrel 4000 but more aero KM 40 or the newer, seat tubeless KM40?

Just kidding you. It is a great design, and it even made it into Architectural Digest (or some other design publication, don't quote me; I did see it in a magazine of that nature) as one of the best ever designs for a bicycle picked by either a designer or architect.

Why I did not consider one: I had my heart set on a Corima Fox, which Nytro had sold me a 700c as a 650c. I had decided that I was going to sell my 650c wheels, fork, and gear to make this thing work. The KM 40 was available in my size (52), but I somehow recall that a 49 would have provided my correct top tube length. Also, they did become a bit common for my tastes; that being said, it is still one of the coolest bikes around.

What you have to remember is that I remember when the 500 SCi came out. That was in something like 1994 or 1995. That is what the KM40 was based on. Many of us have seen some variation on this theme for many years. Between that, the lack of sizes, and the initially high price of this offering, the KM40 was simply not an option. And I even remember when the KM40 was available in only one size.

But, if someone were to offer me a KM40 that fit me perfectly, I would have an awfully hard time turning them down. And I think despite what I have said, the KM 40 will remain a desireable bike for many years, especially if Kestrel makes the new KM 40 not nearly as attractive.
Quote Reply
Re: KM-40 - ultimate tri-bike? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is a great design, and it even made it into Architectural Digest (or some other design publication, don't quote me; I did see it in a magazine of that nature) as one of the best ever designs for a bicycle picked by either a designer or architect."

it was ID - industiral design magazine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely a fantastic bike - I own 6 bikes, and for tri's, this is by and far the best. However, remember, it is just another piece of equipment, The car will only go as fast as the engine that runs it - top trained legs on a Schwinn will kick butt on poor legs on a KM40. That said, I love my KM40 Airfoil.....damn...there goes another Schwinn past me.

Alan
Quote Reply