Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running and Early Pregnancy
Quote | Reply
I'm in my first trimester and am starting to struggle with runs - especially during the last 2 weeks. I'm already running about 45 - 60 seconds slower per mile (this was one of the first signs I was pregnant) but was exhausted last night after a 3 mile run. For the rest of the night I was had increased shortness of breath and coughing.

What have you experienced? I'm not used to being that short of breath from an "easy" run. While I've read that shortness of breath is "normal," I'm not sure what this really means - or how much shortness of breath is okay. I'm headed to the doctor next week and will be sure to address.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [roxiegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please, go easy. I don't have a medical background but am also in my first trimester of second pregnancy. Right before first pregnancy I was running 60 mpw at 6:05 pace for 10k. I tried to keep mileage similar and go 2 minutes slower but around 11 weeks the docs think I lost a twin. Go easier on your body than you think necessary. I'd read about too many athletes keeping their mileage and pace up and that's not what my body required. You can get back into shape; you can't bring a life back into being. It's one of the few things these days that's not reversible. Listen to your body.

This pregnancy I am basically on elliptical, trainer, and in the pool. I miss taking my BOB out, but that's just too much resistance with added toddler's weight. I'm 11 weeks along; babies begin viability between 26-28 weeks.

Train safe and smart-- and enjoy your pregnancy!
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [A_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to say that's a rocking 10k pace :D

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [A_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. And trust me, I really am taking it easy. It's been a long road to get to this point. I'm definitely not going to do anything to jeopardize it.
I appreciate hearing about your experience. We haven't yet announced and my closest friends do not yet have kids. My access to friendly advice is pretty limited right now.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in week 15 of my first pregnancy, so finally out of the exhausting first trimester. I experienced a similar situation with any cardio workout -- it took tons more effort and left me exhausted. A normal gym workout for me is usually 1.5 hours and I often struggled to make it 45 minutes. Good news, the energy comes back. (At least for me - hopefully for you, too.) Even so, my running is minimal. Lots of other cardio, yoga and swimming. Especially swimming as it's the one place my extra "buoyancy" doesn't get in the way. Congrats and good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It took me a while to get to that pace-- and of course, now with another one on the way, it will take a long time to get back to it! =] Totally worth it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you about the journey. Both mine are ivf babies, so I'm being conservative with my activities. No more ivf regardless of how this one turns out. Anyway...
Congrats on becoming a mama-to-be!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body is working really really hard right now to create a placenta and all the gooey bits for bebe. You will be fatigued and slow. It is what it is. I barely ran in 1st trimester, but managed to slog along very slowly thru til ~week 30. Rode til ~35 and swam until day before. If the running becomes a PITA, switch it up or just briskly walk. Oh and your running will be BETTER postpartum (esp post weaning!).

Good luck!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I just wanted to add that even if you don't run during pregnancy, it will come back! I went through fertility treatments to get pregnant, which required majorly cutting back on training to improve my fertility. I didn't run as single step while pregnant, but did swim, walk, hike, snowshoe, or weight train every day.

I started running again 6 weeks post c-section, and was setting PBs when my daughter was 6 months old.

I'm not saying don't run - but listen to your body, and know that if you can't, it's not the end of the world. Running will still be there when you get back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your first words explain a lot: "I'm in my first trimester ..." Omigosh the exhaustion I had during my first trimester was like I had when I was severely anemic. I could barely function! So don't worry about your running now -- the other girls are right. Your running will come back. The good news is, sometime toward the end of the first trimester, you will wake up one day and feel great! And then you'll probably feel great until you get really big :-)

Best of luck to you. My youngest daughter just went to college. You have great years ahead of you. Stay healthy!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [irongirlk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in my 26th week in my first pregnancy. I too, found it difficult to adjust mentally to the changes that were happening in my run workouts. I went from running an average 5:00/km's pre-pregnancy to puffing with 6:30's within a matter of weeks. I had tried to keep up with training 3-4 times per week, but found that I was left exhausted and sore following "easy" runs and switched to walking only by 18 weeks. Your body is going through some pretty spectacular changes. I read in one of my pregnancy books, that the process of "building a baby" for 40 weeks, takes an average of 80,000 calories. That's like doing an IronMan a month. I've done five IronMans, and I tell ya, pregnancy is so much more exhausting and has its own unique and challenging pains accompanying it. I agree with the other posters that you really need to focus on looking after yourself and your baby and really take it easy. Enjoy the process, as it really is a special time. If you lose fitness, don't worry too much about it, this is the kind of thing that really matters in life.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [mrsnorthshore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much. It's just a hard adjustment to make. I know that we will get back in the swing of things after baby arrives but, in the meantime, there are definitely a lot of changes.

It is very reassuring to know that what I'm experiencing is in line with everyone else. Good luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your pregnancy! The body is an amazing machine and yours is telling you to slow down!! I have read that the exhaustion we feel in the first trimester is the body's way of making us take it easy so all our energy goes to the developing baby. Congrats again!!
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [mrsnorthshore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm replying really to everyone with a follow-up question. Just found out I'm 8 weeks along (farther than I thought). Exercising hasn't been all bad, legs just feel weak most of the time but I'm going more by feel than by schedule. However, I feel hungry most of the time. I track my calories in vs. out (been doing well before I got pregnant) and am eating about the same amount as I have been (i.e. haven't increased due to baby) the past few months. Should I increase my intake (say 200-300 calories) to make sure the baby gets all the nutrients he or she needs? I tend to spend more calories/day than I eat around 4-5 days of the week, reverse that for 1-2 days, and come out neutral the remaining day(s).

I have my informational meeting with the nurse next Friday but it's been bugging me for a bit. I don't want to put on unnecessary weight but I don't want to undernourishe the baby either. Any advise would be much appreciated by me.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [trigeek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to add - my running is also better post-partum and I didn't run at all after finding out I was pregnant with trips (about 8 weeks). I did continue to walk till week 20 when I was put on bed rest.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said listen to your body, but know you can continue to exercise and be healthy.

I don't mean for this to be a shameless plug just information - I just wrote an article on this topic...there are some references at the end if you want more of the science of exercise and pregnancy, but I have lots more if you want too!

http://running.competitor.com/...ecting-mothers_46684

Good luck and be safe!

Quote | Reply
That's all pretty normal your first trimester. I would stop looking at your watch and just enjoy that you are still running. I ran up until the day I gave birth to my first son, and I'm at 23 weeks with my second right now. I am way slower and I don't go as far, but I try to go for about the same time. Some days, I'm too tired, other days are great. I hope to continue to end with this little guy too!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is 6 weeks, and we are training for her first half marathon in 2 months. She's been complaining of the general exhaustion, going to bed at 10, etc. However, we've run together a couple of times, and last night she complained of specific vertical abdominal soreness. I don't know if it's also the fact that she did Zumba the night before. So you gals are saying the exhaustion eventually goes away? Besides just generally paying attention to her body, and running slower, is there anything else to watch out for? She's also involved in pilates once or twice a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The exhaustion does get better (and then it gets worse!). In my first trimester, I was going to bed at like 8 pm - or having a nap the second I got home from work!)

She should also be paying attention to staying hydrated and not overheating.

You said this is her first half - what is her running experience to this point? Generally, the recommendation is to "keep doing what you've been doing" - pregnancy might not be the time to train for a longer event for the first time. It's one thing for an experienced runner to do a half during pregnancy, but if she's more of a 5k runner normally, building up to 20k+ is very different, In this situation, I would speak with a healthcare provider.

Jesse
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She did a sprint triathlon last September, but unless she's training for something, doesn't really run that much. She does a lot of Zumba and Pilates otherwise for her workouts. We are doing an easy 3 miles tomorrow, so we'll see what that feels like.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd nix the 1/2 marathon if she's never done one before. Not worth stressing herself and the baby when she is not already used to those distances. Also, would be a good idea for her to tell her pilates instructor (and zumba) that she is pregnant. There are variations the instructors should be able to provide as to not stress the baby and her body. She is still early, so you may not be telling everyone about the pregnancy yet, but she can take the instructor aside and tell them, and ask that they not blab to the class when they are giving alternate exercises or what they are for.

Congrats on the babe to be! With my first, I was asleep on the couch by 8 every night, so your wife making it to 10 is awesome!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - my inclination would be to take a pass on the half for now. It will make a great post-baby goal instead. Long runs of 2 hours are a considerable effort, and it sounds like it's a bit jump from where her running is at now.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies, just throwing it out there:

Is anyone interested in sharing feedback, stories, workout tips, preggo clothing, info for current pregnant + tri-ing ladies? :) I can start a new thread if I get any responses.

I'm 14 weeks pregnant, and do not have any fellow preggo athletes to workout with. I'd love to have some "companions" online, at least to share our discoveries and most likely, frustrations as we move along. I have been an active triathlete for 5 years, and do not plan to stop working out until I feel it's necessary. I'd love to hear how your workouts are coming along, and just have some support with staying active throughout maternity.

My workouts consist of running, swimming, hiking and some indoor cycling. I'm at the point where I'm figuring out what to do with my workout clothes and the expanding waistline.... Has anyone bought running tops at FitMaternity.com before?

Thanks!! peace, Emily
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [emintaipei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad it's a little late for me, I'm holding my 3 week old! But I can tell you my fav workout tops were Target/C9 tanks that I got 2 sizes bigger. Cheap and long enough to wear through 9 mos for me! Good luck with your training; I really loved running the whole time, and was thankful I could do that and spin and swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Running and Early Pregnancy [emintaipei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runners World has a Preggos forum which is posted pretty much daily. (They are struggling a bit with weekend Spamming at the moment but during the week it's good). These ladies post about their workouts, symptoms etc. They also have a "New Moms" thread for post partum...

http://www.runnersworld.com/...er-communities/women
Quote Reply