Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How tough is Hawaii?
Quote | Reply
I am going to Hawaii for the first time and am wondering to the vets out there how it compares in difficuly to Lake Placid (which is the only other venue I have done, twice). Everybody was complaining about LP this year with the rain and cold but I thought it was no big deal as those are the exact conditions I train in all the time except LP was warmer. Hawaii scares me due to the heat. How bad is it???
Quote Reply
Re: How tough is Hawaii? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMH course itself is not especially tough. What makes Hawaii tough is the heat, the humidity, the wind, and the competition. When you step off the plane in Kona, your first thought will probably be along the lines of: "OMG, we are going to RACE in this!". While the heat and humidity alone certainly makes for a tough day, if there are strong winds, it will get VERY tough. I realize you had some wind at LP, but 30mph winds is nothing compared to what you can get on the Queen K. Believe me, 50mph crosswinds (2001) can scare the crap out of you. There is also the matter of a non-wetsuit swim if you are a weaker swimmer (if you are a strong swimmer you will love it). Finally, there is the level of competition. You will be playing with a lot of very, very good triathletes. Obviously, it will be much tougher to achieve a high AG placing compared to other IMs if that is your goal.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply