Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: the french love me! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely disagree. I mean really, everyone should just learn to speak English. So what if it has the least consistent grammar rules of any major language. They should go ahead and suck it up. Also, they should all do away with this crazy "Metric System". What sense does it make to divide everything by powers of ten when you can divide them by 12ths, 3rds, 4ths, 16ths, etc...Consistency is the hallmark of laziness. Mix it up a little with some furlongs, stones, fathoms, and English tons. I have found I get the most true respect from "foreigners" if I speak in loud English and wave dollar bills at them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: the french love me! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL -- actually, ROFLMFAO.

Thanks for returning this to levity/relaxation -- sorry if I got a bit polemical there. :-)

Still laughing as I re-read your closing line...
Last edited by: alpdhuez: Aug 1, 03 20:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey slowman. slap me next time i make a joke.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...if learning the visiting countries language is important.... then, why is it when I begin my attempt to speak (say) french (which must sound like a pig in distress), ...all a get is strange looks and they begin to speak english. I think out of courtesy they tell me they prefer to speak english because they don't get enough chances to speak English. I personally thinks it so their ears won't start bleeding.

BTW, did you know that the literal translation of my definition of sailing doesn't sound nor mean quite the same in when I tried it in french:

Sailing - the fine are of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Navigation - l'art fin de obtention d'une personne humide et pour devenir malade tous lentement en allant nulle part à la grande dépense. (Or, something like that.)

Fun was had by all (at my expense)... specially the "wet person" part. I still don't get it... ah well, I just claimed it was my Canandian-French version.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread just took a massive turn for the better...
Quote Reply
Re: the french love me! [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this thread should be taken out back and burned. i wish i had never wrote it.

Quote Reply
Theres a generalization if ever I saw one [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English and superiority complex...........

I suppose thats completely different to the "Ugly American" image that pervades every single foreign countries image of the American tourist?

Quite frankly I've met as many English with a superiority complex as I have ugly americans.......

I think there are a$$holes everywhere and I try my best to avoid them all, England, America, France etc etc..................

Travelling is entirely what you make of it and if you get all bent out of shape because the locals anywhere dont respond to you, prehaps it is the approach that needs a little examination as opposed to the locals............

Lived in England for 18 years
England and America for three
Lived in America for 7+ years

I think I've seen both sides in the states and in europe and assholes appear to be a universal problem.
Quote Reply
Re: the french love me! [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, CJ, this just proves two things:

1. You risk losing the Topic-Killer Title

2. The law of entropy dictates that while you can start a thread, you can't control where it goes from there.(Kind of like the Matrix, I suppose)

I started the Lake Placid Sold Out topic on Wednesday, and it caused someone to spawn the How high can IMNA Go (Subtitle: I Hate GF and all IM stooges) thread, which is running off the rails.

Sorry if we bummed you out. I liked the Jerry Lewis thing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: the french love me! [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. morrisey after getting your live at the bbc import i could never bum on you. i just think we should write a point counter point thread on three wheel spokes so everyone can argue homosexual marraige and sars.

Quote Reply
boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>i hate boycotts, goes against my capitalistic vibe

As a capitalist, you should approve of boycotts. The most strident capitalist zealots believe that the freemarket is the only mechanism required to effect any social change. Within the framework of capitalism, consumer buying preferences are the only viable, in fact recommended, way to show disapproval or approval (e.g. don't like that Acme products are always backfiring on your coyote pal? you don't need litigation or government regulations to punish Acme, all you have to do is spend your money on Yoyodyne products instead). Boycotts are the logical extension of this form of disapproval, and because they operate within the framework of the freemarket (no appealing to extra-market governing bodies or regulations of any sort), they are the only true capitalist form of dissent. So, as a capitalist, you should heartily approve of boycotts (in general, that is; doesn't mean you have to approve of every specific boycott).

Since no one in their right mind would still be reading this post by now, I might as well wax poetic on the French, too. Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences in France. I've found the French to be great hosts, and not just in tourist areas (maybe especially not in tourist areas), and not just when I've had money to spend. A small percentage, in my experience, are cranks, just like anywhere else.
Quote Reply
Re: boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your proably right about the french but then again i won't go to my theory of people one on one and people in large groups or nations. i think on the national scale my argument is strong.

as far as boycotts. your right. do with your dollar what you wish. boycotts are legal and ethical. i just don't see them as useful i have yet to see anytime they worked and i like mavic wheels and love michellen tires. i say by what you need and ignore who you hate.

Quote Reply
Re: boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>i have yet to see anytime they [boycotts] worked

Well, lemme preface by saying the "boycott France" sentiment is exceeded in fatuousness only by the "rename french fries" movement. That said, here are just a few successful [& rational!] boycotts:

* burger king boycott in 1986 that got them to change their beef-buying practices

* tuna boycotts that decreased slaughter of dolphins

* Alabama bus boycotts a while back turned out to be pretty effective, too

Personally, I am mulling a 1-man boycott of all bike manufacturers until someone puts out a model that makes me not suck so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once boycotted women for awhile in the name of capitalism and national pride. One of my friends suggested that maybe all women got together and boycotted me.

I stick by my interpretation of events.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does boycotting a specific women count? Cause if so, I've boycotted many women in hopes of getting them to change their marketing policies towards me. As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of such a boycott at this very moment.

I'm assuming it's only a boycott if the target in question is something you desire.
Quote Reply
Re: boycotts, capitalism, et les francais [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[I'm assuming it's only a boycott if the target in question is something you desire.]

I prefer not to box myself in with rules and technicalities. Could get you in trouble if some woman you're not particularly interested in disses you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois nailed it. It's the initial, sincere effort of their language that they respect. Starting with English in France is like starting with French in America. It doesn't exactly get you that nice table in the window.
Quote Reply

Prev Next