Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compact Frame for TT/Tri's?
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't someone make a compact frame for TT's? There are plenty of frames (I have a Merlin Agilis) out there, but they have no aero downtube or 76+ seat angle which seems to be the norm for TT/Tri bikes. As stiff as a compact frame seems to be I would think they would be ideal for the application. Is there something obvious I am overlooking?

Thanks,
fal7
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Frame for TT/Tri's? [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do: QR Picanti and Cervelo Soloist. QR also used to make the PR in a compact geometry.

Why don't more manufacturers do it? The only real benefit is increased standover clearance. Standover clearance isn't generally a concern with tri/TT bikes due to the shorter head tubes.

Compact geometry frames also tend to pay an aerodynamic penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'd have to ask Dan or Gerard about this, but it seems that compact frames lend themselves better to road geometry than it does steeper angle tri bikes. The closest thing is probably the Cervelo Soloist.
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Frame for TT/Tri's? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also check out Giant Bicycles. All of their bikes are compact geometry, including the TCR Aero 1 and 2. ONCE has ridden these bikes for a couple years.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Tsunami tri bike with a 78 degree compact frame. Worked great, no problems. Can't beat the price.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikeparts.net carries a compact TT/Tri frame that sell for 379.00. The frame comes in 3 sizes S - M - L , 76deg, semi aero tubing, 700c wheels. I'm not a rep or even own one just noticed it a while back while surfing the web instead of training.
Quote Reply