Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anorexia
Quote | Reply
I recall that several women on this board are anorexic, so I wanted to share this in the hope that it may help someone.

My daighter was diagnosed with anorexia 6 years ago. She does not purge; only restricts her eating. She has gone 4-5 days without being able to eat. When we realized the issue, on the strong suggestion of a therapist, we immediately got her into a 24/7 treatment center. After 2 months she had it pretty much under control. She stayed in therapy for about a year and has done reasonably well controlling it since.

About 2 weeks ago she told us that she was having real troubles with again and was going back into therapy. In her first session with the new theropist, she has what she feels is an epiphony. They discussed where she holds her anxiety/stress. My daughter thought about it and realized that she held it in her gut/stomach. The therapist suggested that this might be the primary genesis of her condition. My daughter said it was one of those "oh yea" moments. She called telling use that just recognizing where she holds her stress is a total relief.

Only time will tell, but they will be working on recognizing anxiety/stress and ways to "let it go". Hope this might help someone else!
Quote Reply
Re: Anorexia [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I hope that will help any battling w/ anorexia, an aweful disease.
Good luck w/ your daughter.
Quote Reply
Re: Anorexia [creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people hold their anxiety and stress in their stomach. This is the source of a lot of stomach issues and even eating disorders. I cannot speak for everyone with anorexia or another eating disorder but it often stems from control. By controlling what you eat, you are able to have control over at least something. Thanks for sharing your story.
Quote Reply