Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Public Tracks in Scottsdale or Tempe
Quote | Reply
So I just moved to South Scottsdale from out of state and am blown away by the lack of public tracks. Every one iI check out is fenced and locked. Can some one please point me to a track that will be open?

Also I'm looking for track group to workout with so that info would be helpful too.

And yes i already searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this so its either not there or I suck at using a search engine.

Thanks,
Joel

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joel Rosinbum
President, USA Triathlon Board of Directors
twitter
instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Public Tracks in Scottsdale or Tempe [leftarmbandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try running at Coronado High School. You can crawl under a rabbit hole in the big tall fence on Oak St. normally with no problem - you may get a little dusty. Not that I would know. Then run like you own the place. The track will be open at least to you with a little bit of ingenuity. If you can drive, there's always McClintock High in Tempe (not locked) or Westwood High in west Mesa (not locked). The only time I've ever seen either of those ever locked is the day before graduation when all the chairs are set up.
Quote Reply
Re: Public Tracks in Scottsdale or Tempe [AZRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Public tracks are very scarce in Phoenix. Fortunately for you there is one very close to you. Scottsdale Community College is open to the public and is a very nice track.

Because it can be hard to find:
Go east on Chaparral > Go under 101 >SCC is the giant parking lot on the left. Go into parking lot and go to left, drive around the building, track is facing the highway. Good luck!
Last edited by: yimmy: Jan 24, 12 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Tri Scottsdale does a track workout at Chaparral High School one morning each week - check their website for more info:

http://www.triscottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try the track at Desert Mountain High School. I graduated from there and going back during the summers never had an issue getting in, gates were never locked and I've seen other members of the public using it (although it was usually pretty deserted).

Crossroads are 124th and Via Linda and the track is behind the school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange - I have run on lots of Phoenix area HS tracks over the years and never found one locked up.

As another post said try the Tri Scottsdale Tuesday 6AM workouts (time changes when it warms up). They are usually led by Lewis Elliot, a top local triathlete. No need to join the club - just show up at Chaparral. There is usually a pretty good sized group.

Arizona Road Racers has a Tuesday 6:30 PM track session at Scottsdale Comm College. They usually have some pretty good runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm in the area I usually go to SCC, Chaparral or Horizon High.
Quote Reply
Re: Public Tracks in Scottsdale or Tempe [yimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought I would update this a bit after my February visit to the area. Scottsdale Community College outdoor track is no longer open to the public.

However the Saguaro High School track seems to be. I went there on a Sunday and found two gates open and a few people who seemed to be “regulars” working out there. Even the bathrooms were open and water fountains working. I don’t know if this continues into the summer when high school is over but hopefully the track is open then too.
Quote Reply