Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict?
Quote | Reply
I hate drafting (in triathlon) and I hate cheating. I just want to get that out of the way right at the outset. I'm one of those guys who tends to get pretty worked up about others who don't follow the rules whether they're riding in a pace line, not keeping to the right, or dropping their GU packets on the side of the road.

This past weekend I had the good fortune to be able to race in my first race overseas. I was at IM Switzerland and I knew going in that there were going to be some subtle differences in the rules. At the race briefing, I was suprised to learn that the only two rules they seemed to plan to enforce (other than the standard clothing requirements) was drafting (with a 10 meter separation required) and illegally crossing a solid center line. There was to be no such thing as a position penalty, and no requirement that racers pass on the left.

The bike course at this race was a 3 loop course with 3 climbs on each lap and a couple of sections that were very narrow. There were also about 1400 competitors in the race. Given these facts, it was inevitable that the course was going to get pretty congested in places. I was expecting the worst; awful pacelines, blatang cheating, and big bottlenecks. I was very pleased to find that the race didn't turn out at all like I expected. Yes, there were some crowded spots. Yes, there were some outright cheaters who rode in tight pacelines. BUT, for the most part, people did their best to ride legally, fairly, and respectfully. I noticed that when the course got congested, most riders (except the intentionally cheating scum, 1400, 1401, 911...) used their ability to spread out across the road to set up staggered positions. Yes, they may have been getting a little benefit from other riders nearby, but they were able to maintain their speed (not having to unnecesarily slow down or drop back) while not blatantly wheelsucking one another on the shoulder of the road. IMO, these people were keeping with the spirit with the no drafting rule while making the best of their race on a crowded course.

The fact that riders could ride anywhere on the road made the congestion tolerable, even enjoyable. The fact that one could pass on the right or left made the lack of position rules tolerable. The facts that most people stayed to the right anyway or moved out of your way upon announcing your intention to pass made the course rideable and enjoyable. The fact that riding the course was enjoyable made the race fantastic (at least for me). I can't help but think that some of our rules here in the States might be overkill. We've already shown that there's rules that we can't adequately enforce. I always thought the answer was better/more enforcement. Now I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, we might have a few too many rules.

The other thing I liked was part of the "enforcement". When the officials would come upon a group of riders who were riding a bit too closely, they would drive up them and blow a whistle. (Or they'd start handing out penalties if this was a repeat occurence.) You know, basically a warning letting everyone know to clean up their act. In my experience, it was pretty effective. I feel like our officials are directed to "catch cheaters" rather than to promote a fair race.

Anyway, I found the race quite interesting and enlightening. Sorry if this is painfully obvious old hat to you all, but I thought I'd bring it up. I just think that we can make our races here in the States much better and I'm going to stop beating my drum that a tight police-like crackdown on racers is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks like I said in the other thread I think that you're 100% right. There's another thing: water bottles dropping. Like you've seen last Sunday, in Europe there's no actual penalty if you drop a bottle or anything else far from the aid stations, however I'm sure you noticed how athletes were doing their very best to hit the large nets at the beginning and at the end of the aid stations. Regardless of that, I went over some parts of the bike course the next day and they were already squeaky clean, without any trace of trash.
Filippo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can NOT overtake on the right...
even though this is not stated explicitly, in european races, they mention that you have to respect road rules at all times.
in most european countries (including switzerland),
and unlike some states in the US, you cannot overtake on the right, and therefore, you have to overtake someone on the left.
that said, the position penalty does not exist in Europe. However, in most NA races the drafting box for AG is only 7m (sometimes 5). in Europe it's 10m for everyone
Quote Reply
Re: Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Francois but you're wrong because at the briefing at IM Switzerland last week, an american guy specifically asked whether you could pass on the right and the answer was "yes, you can pass wherever you want as long as you don't harm anyone." So I guess that there's not a European set of rules but rather evry race has its own rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict? [maz z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is strange as this has been illegal in europe for many years, but then I haven't lived there for 5 yeards now.

maybe it helps avoiding drafting but I believe this is VERY dangerous. Most euros are used to only overtaking on the left and most may be surprised to be overtaken on the right.

on technical courses with downhills (like Nice) I think this is a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that it may be dangerous, but in Zurich it was a blessing because there were way too many athletes, especially in the long flat stretches by the lake. You're right we are used to pass only on the left anyway, but sometimes you were forced to either pass on the right or to brake altogether and it was nice to have such an option.
Filippo
Last edited by: maz z: Jul 31, 03 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

One point in the drafting rules that gets overlooked is that triathlons are races. All races of any type have rules to ensure an even playing field.

Sure in a crowded race you will have to slow down to play in the rules, but that is the penalty for not being a stronger bike rider, just as being pounded in the swim is the penalty for not being a shark.

The trick is to train on the bike to go harder than your normal pace for short periods of time. Then in a crowd hang off the back, rest, then speed up and go past.

The expectation that your going to have a completely clear course with no impediments during a race with 2000 people is unrealistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly agree that it is unrealistic to expect a clear course especially during bigger races. I also think that to a certain extent rules serve to provide a level playing field. I just wonder if sometimes our rules go too far and might actually take away from the enjoyment of the sport. Is it possible to have essentially draft-free racing that does not require multiple very strict rules? (Rules which, incidentally, we can't seem to enforce and who's constant violation drives many of us up a wall) Could draft-free racing rules be as simple as "every bike has a zone around it that is X meters by Y meters, keep out of it"?

As for the passing on the right stuff being potentially dangerous. Well, yes, for the most part I agree. But there are certainly occasions (like on a crowded climb) where it's not a problem. I think of it like downhill skiing, where if you're overtaking another skiier, it's your responsiility to do so safely. Yes I think people ought to stay to the right. Yes I think you ought to announce your intentions when passing. And yes I think thqat some controls ought to be in place to prevent riders from actively blocking or preventing a pass. (Something I've never seen done intentionally) The fact of the matter is that this sport is getting more and more popular. Courses are going to continue to get more crowded. I don't think the current rules are suitable to crowded draft free racing. I do think though that it is possible to have such a thing. Is there a way for us to keep the spirit of draft free triathlon alive, allow races to grow, and have rules that are easily understood, safe, and enforceable?

The other point is the role of officials. I do believe they ought to hand out penalties when warranted, but I also think they should play more of a supportive role. Is their primary role to help run a safe and clean race (which also involves a certain amount of educating the participants) or is it to bust all the neredowells?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois is correct in so far as the Swiss Triathlon competition regulations specify that normal road rules shall be followed, except if the race organizer has specified something different. The overtaking on the right in this specific case could probably fall beneath this rule (if this actually legal is a different question). In any case I've never seen or heard of a penalty being given for any other infraction than crossing safety lines.

The Swiss regulations also don't specify any blocking rules, however the German rules -do- and I know that the rule is enforced in at least some races in Germany.

Simon
Quote Reply
Re: Are Our Bike Rules Too Strict? [simon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the "no overtaking on the right" thing (and this comment applies to only the US, and timetrialing).

When we're very lucky (as in the Lance Armstrong Time Trial, held in Phila. the day before the US Pro race), we amateurs occasionally get to race TTs on closed courses. Wish I had a $ for every time I've come up behind someone hugging the center line and repeatedly yelled "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" to absolutely no avail. So then you have a choice between violating the center line rule, violating the no-draft rule (while you continue to try to persuade them to shift right) -- or illegally passing on the right.

Try that in nordic skiing, and you'll justifiably receive a pole on your left boot as you get passed. :-)
Quote Reply