Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Politics, Religion & Racing
Quote | Reply
So I show up yesterday morning at the the Brandywine Duathlon down in Delaware. Go through my normal pre race routine. Air up the tires, pick out my spot on the bike rack, lay out my gear, etc. I then head over to race registration to have a look to see if I know anyone racing. As I scan the list a familiar name pops out at me. Although I don't really "know him" he is somebody I know of. Turns out he is not only a frequent poster to the Lavender Room he is also in my age group. It is also someone who could not be further away from me on politics and religion and who I have had some rather heated debates and discussions with here on the forum. So I take note of his race number but do not see him until just before race start. Thinking that was not the time to introduce myself as a fellow slowtwitcher I decided to wait. As the gun goes off I notice he takes off with lead pack. Not wanting to be left too far back I quickly join the group. Unfortunately they were a little too fast for me so I back off and monitor my heart rate. instead of matching their pace. As I enter T1 I look and see he is already headed out on the bike. I figured he probably had a good minute to minute and a half on me. I get onto my bike and quickly settle ito a good rhythm and feel really strong. I felt if it was only a minute maybe I could catch him and the lead group. At the turn around I look up and see him just coming out of the turn only about 30 seconds up. I had almost made up the time. I also knew he was a faster runner so I need to put at least a minute into him on the bike. Unfortunately after the turn around we face an unbelievable head wind and my average went from 26mph down to about 20. I decided to drop a gear and spin through it. Because of the several turns on the course I could not see where he was. As we approached the only "hill" on the course, a large bridge with about a 3/4 mile climb, I saw him. It was only about 3 miles to the finish and had to make a move. I was able to pass him and just kept peddaling for all I had. I did not look back until the transtion area. This time it was reversed from T1 as I had about a minute on him when he was coming in. With 5K to go it was going to be close. I could feel the results of hammering the bike and did not leave much for the run. I was having doubts whether I had enough to hold him off. At the turn around he had made up another 30 seconds and was closing. He looked a whole lot better than I felt. Now it was a mile and a half to the finish and I was really hurting. I just kept pushing and pushing reminding myself to just turn my legs over. I did not look back. As I crossed the finish line I finally turned around and he was right there only 10 seconds back. I was toast and could hardly walk and my left calf was just in knots. I walked over to the transition area and was stretching and picking up my gear. He does the same and after I catch my breath I walk up and congratulate him and introduce myself as a fellow slowtwitcher and tell him my screen name. We both smiled and shook hands. We ended up having a great conversation and he turned out to be a great guy and hell of a competitor. It reaffirmed my belief just what a great sport we have and how fortunate I am to be able to compete in it and meet such wonderful people everywhere I go. It doesn't matter what your politics are or religion because in the end we all have this sport in common. Although I am sure we will continue to disagree with many aspects of life, one thing I know is, I made a new friend and he earned my respect. And to you Ken Lehner congratulations on a great race and thank you for being the great competitor you are. You brought out the best in me yesterday.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Politics, Religion & Racing [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad the two of you aren't in my age group.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Politics, Religion & Racing [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, I wished only one of us was in my age group...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply